gentoo on a power4 (ppc64)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: gentoo on a power4 (ppc64) Reply with quote

I'm going to be installing gentoo on a quad power4 box that I get to play with. I don't anticipate many troubles, but would appreciate some feedback if anyone else has already gotten this set up. Also, how exactly would I go about submitting stuff when I get this working. Thank you.
-Mark
SeaPig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUMB*
just wondering what the status of your project is.
There is a good chance that I am about to get an IBM pSeries system. aixL is nice, but running gentoo on it would rock.
:lol:
MarkK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that was a long time ago... anyway, I never did write the ebuilds for this, but what I did (to maintain compatibility with some binary compilers released by IBM) is install a powerpc64 cross compiler in /opt/ppc64... build a 64bit kernel, and compile stuff as needed. That way all the 32bit ppc apps work fine too. A better howto is at http://www.penguinppc64.org. If you have any questions I can try to answer them. One note, if you plan on using the IBM compilers you must use the older 2.2.5 glibc... 2.3 does not work with the IBM compilers.
-Mark
tgall_foo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: ppc64 footnote Reply with quote

It should be noted that running 32 bit user space gentoo on top of a 64 bit kernel does work, be it G5 (ppc 970), Power4, Power3, or even on the *star processors.

But personally I think it's more interesting running a full 64 bit gentoo on top of a 64 bit kernel. Currently I am endeavouring to accomplish such a task on my G5. While the road hasn't been perfectly smooth I have made good progress and am now just 11 packages sort of effectively an

emerge system

From this I should be able to start to generate stage1, stage2 and hopefully a live cd and make them available for consumption.

Many thanks to drobbins, trance and especially brad_mssw, this would not have been possible without their assistance.

Regards,

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: