screen-blanking can't be turned off in gnome 3.8 + systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: screen-blanking can't be turned off in gnome 3.8 + systemd Reply with quote

I'm using cinnamon. after upgrading to gnome3.8 (beneath a new version of cinnamon) from my old gnome 3.6 and installing systemd several configurations disappeared. among them also the settings for screen-blanking, it seems. previously I would execute
Code:
xset -dpms

and screen-blanking is turned off. now this doesn't work. also I tried
Code:
xset s off

and it didn't work. of course, the dconf-setting idle-activation-enabled in org.gnome.desktop.screensaver is false, blank screen in settings->power is set to never, when I look into cinnamon-settings->screensaver I get the complaint that screensaver isn't running. also I tried
Code:
setterm -blank 0

but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the output of
Code:
cat /sys/module/kernel/parameters/consoleblank

using the option -powersave off results in the error
Code:
setterm: cannot (un)set powersave mode: Inappropriate ioctl for device

but I guess that's ok when those commands are executed in a gnome-terminal.
does anyone know if there is some way to ask xorg how the dpms stuff is currently set? maybe xset doesn't work at all?
is there any kind of debug option for xorg to learn why the screen is blanked?
any other sources for the screen-blanking I might have missed? now I'm trying sleep-inactive-* in org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power...

interesting symptom: my computer generates a key-press when put into tablet-mode. in gnome 3.6 this did not end the screen-blanking, I had to press an actual key. now with the gnome 3.8 and systemd screen gets unblanked also when going into tablet-mode. nice improvement!
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the brave new world. LoL

I'm not meaning to be insensitive, but it seems with each new enhancement gnome gets worse.
It's almost as if they are trying to drive away the end users, by their stupid arrogance.
4.14.62 kernel, profile 17.0 (no-pie) amd64-no-multilib
gcc 8.2.0, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the gnome-programmers as arrogant but rather as understaffed. they have large amount of programmers but no docs and no testers it seems. however they are the only people who actually try to implement what freedesktop suggests. therefore instead of whining, join them and reduce their arrogance by thinning it down. :D

btw, as expected the power-plugin dconf had no effect either. guess cinnamon doesn't use such things like gnome-plugins...
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should inquire at freedesktop or gnome headquarters since they might have a clue about the timeout.

But from doing a cursory google search, they limited the timeout ability in 3.8,
and what is there is buried somewhere that can be gotten to by using gsettings.
4.14.62 kernel, profile 17.0 (no-pie) amd64-no-multilib
gcc 8.2.0, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to avoid misunderstandings: xset -dpms works on desktop, but not on laptops and tablets. especially tablets with a docking-station have a problem.
every time you unplug or plug in, the mode changes between battery and ac. at that moment xset -dpms is forgotten completely and no possibility to set the defaults it seems.one would need a program that overrides that behaviour, in gnome the power plugin seems to do that, but not in cinnamon...

also, programs like totem will prevent screen blanking, so unless you use non-gnome programs there really is no problem. but still, a bug that affects only few people is a bug...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: