Wireless config using SSID/MAC in conf.d/net
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quincy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Wireless config using SSID/MAC in conf.d/net Reply with quote

I have a WLAN which has a hidden SSID (let's call it "MYWLAN"). Therefore I'm configuring networks via the following entries in /etc/conf.d/net using the SSID and a mapping of (AP-)MAC to SSID:
Code:
key_MYWLAN="0123456 enc open"
config_MYWLAN="192.168.1.32 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.1.255"
routes_MYWLAN="default gw 192.168.1.1"
dns_servers_MYWLAN="192.168.1.1"
mac_essid_00112233AABB="MYWLAN"

This worked on two laptops configured in the same way without any problems until some days ago (perhaps upgrading to openrc 0.12.4 is an issue). One of them now has the issue that while starting wlan0 there is the following message:
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.wlan0[3294]: No configuration specified; defaulting to DHCP

Because there is no DHCP server no proper IP gets assigned to the device. I tried to copy the whole config again, but did not change anything. Also unhiding the SSID or configuring with MAC address directly ("config_00112233AABB") is not recognized as configuration. Only configuring with config_wlan0="192.168.1.32 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.1.255" is recognized. On the other system there is no such problem and mapping MAC to SSID works properly.

I'm not aware of any big differences between the systems except that they have different WLAN cards and therefore drivers. The still working one has a Intel 5100 which uses iwlwifi, the one not working anymore has a Broadcom 4312 using b43 as kernel module.

I'm looking forward to some helpful comments as I'm using different wireless networks and at the moment I have to change the config while switching between them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: