Dual Monitors on Linux guest in KVM/Qemu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradigm-X
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Dual Monitors on Linux guest in KVM/Qemu Reply with quote

I finally got the monitor resolution and acceleration features working quite nicely on a Linux guest using XFCE by completely removing the configuration I was tryng to use in '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf' and using nothing for the Xorg configuration settings after installing the combination of Spice display device and drivers for Qemu guests. Now that it works, the result is awesome, with vivid colors, sharply defined fonts, snappy movement and a full range of resolution options. It is still a little quirky, and I am not sure that I would be able to eliminate completely every last imperfection, but all in all it is definitely a splendid result. In the Gentoo guest kernel I compiled the QXL setting for Qemu guests as a module component, and I installed these programs:

app-emulation/spice-protocol
app-emulation/spice-vdagent
X11-drivers/xf86-video-qxl

And in Virt-manager I used the Display Spice device and the Video QXL paravirtualization driver. I think this must be the right combination based on what I can see happening now. The Video QXL driver installed with its default of 64 MB video RAM, and I do not see any way to change that. I searched around for a while to see whether I could find a way to increase the video RAM, but I found nothing about how to do so if desired. Since I am utilizing virt-manager instead of the command line, without a GUI option to change the RAM for video I see no way to alter it.

Nevertheless, there is one more important element in this display needing modification relating to the dual monitor setup this machine makes use of. It is a laptop with its typical built-in monitor, but it is normally also attached to a much larger hidefinition LCD monitor connected via an HDMI cable. Currently, with this guest, the monitors are clone replicates, but I want to use them separately in such a way that I can move windows back and forth between them as if they were one large display. What I do not yet understand adequately is the right approach to go about making it so.

When two monitors attached to the same machine are seen by the operating system as just one large piece of landscape such that windows can be moved between them, how does one best go about configuring it under these circumstances, namely, a virtual machine running Linux as a guest on KVM/Qemu? To make it work, should I be fiddling around with configuration files in here: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf'? Or is this something that should be configured with XFCE or possibly with Spice settings? It is not at all clear to me when I look around at the documentation how these pieces should fit together, and without that much of a clue it is hard to know whether I am on the right track. I really want to avoid spending three days going down a path that come to find out was totally wrong. If anyone can provide me a pointer in the right direction, I would appreciate it immensely. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: