Convert to ZFS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Convert to ZFS Reply with quote

Hi everybody.

Since Funtoo has a rather nice (but rather sparse) ZFS install guide, I set up a small VM and played around with it a bit. My current thought on ZFS is something like "*WOW*".
So, as there are two other great wiki guides from Gentoo and Arch (surprise!), that do explain a whole lot more about really fascinating features of zfs, I though about converting my laptop.

But I do not really like the idea of having to reinstall everything from scratch. So I wondered whether the following idea is in order, or if I'd go nuts with it:
  1. Install ZFS (okay, that one's clear.)
  2. Reboot from ZFS enabled SysRescCD
  3. Mount old partitions and backup all data on an external harddrive using rsync -a
  4. Unmount old partition and wipe/repartition the harddrive
  5. Create the required zpool(s) and datasets
  6. copy data back
  7. chroot into the the old/new installation and enable zfs like described in the Funtoo guide
  8. Cross fingers
  9. reboot
  10. pray.
So, what do you think?

Edith just remembered: All my important data is stored in truecrypt containers, reducing their copy to a few single big files. Some other directories are squashed using squash_mount (mv overlay) including the portage tree and /var/db, so there are a few larger files only, too.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its exactly what i did and it worked just fine
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
I think its exactly what i did and it worked just fine
Cool!

And if I screw it, I have, of course, backups of everything important.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaand it worked. :)

Just a little reminder for future reference, if you want lz4 compression for the root dataset, then it must be compiled into the kernel. ;) (Grew some grey hair over that...)
dscherger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: root zfs with gnome, systemd and genkernel-next Reply with quote

I have done a similar installation and it has been working great for a couple of months, however now I have a gnome upgrade pending and things aren't looking so good.

Gnome requires systemd via the gnome/systemd profile and systemd requires genkernel-next but the initramfs I'm getting from genkernel-next is causing kernel panics during boot.

Has anyone else been through this? Any ideas?

Thanks
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which genkernel-next are you using?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: