steam withou nm?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: steam withou nm? Reply with quote

hello,

I'm thinking of installing steam, looking at the gentoo.org wiki entry I see it requires nm.

I'm not using nm so I'd wanted to ask if there is someone that uses steam without nm. if not, is it possible to use nm without allowing it to take control over the network settings.

thanks.
Christian99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try steam-launcher from steam-overlay (via layman)
teh ebuild doesn't depend on nm. But I can't say if it really works, because i have nm anyways, but i guess there shouldn't be a problem.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian99 wrote:
you can try steam-launcher from steam-overlay (via layman)
teh ebuild doesn't depend on nm. But I can't say if it really works, because i have nm anyways, but i guess there shouldn't be a problem.

I understood that steam's update policy is similar to jdownloader, this renders package manager rather useless, it is right?
Christian99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the steam-launcher ebuild installs a kind of downloader, which installs the steam application into the users homedir, where it takes care of updates itself whenever it is run.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You speak of net-misc/networkmanager yes?

According to the edit comment, it looks like it's only required when STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled. I don't remember if I played around with that to look for ways around it, and normally have the runtime enabled I guess.

And indeed we can't really do much with Portage regarding Steam, as it is as self-contained as it is... I haven't looked at the ebuilds for a while, as I chose the 'manual' way. One of the very few things I rather manage myself. :S
Cynede
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc I used to run steam without nm.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian99 wrote:
yes, the steam-launcher ebuild installs a kind of downloader, which installs the steam application into the users homedir, where it takes care of updates itself whenever it is run.

so using the portage way is not preferable.

Chiitoo wrote:
You speak of net-misc/networkmanager yes?

According to the edit comment, it looks like it's only required when STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled. I don't remember if I played around with that to look for ways around it, and normally have the runtime enabled I guess.

And indeed we can't really do much with Portage regarding Steam, as it is as self-contained as it is... I haven't looked at the ebuilds for a while, as I chose the 'manual' way. One of the very few things I rather manage myself. :S

yup, I meant net-misc/networkmanager.

will take that into account, thanks.
Cynede wrote:
iirc I used to run steam without nm.

any specific config?
Christian99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
Christian99 wrote:

well, depends. you can just run "steam" as a command, and this wrapper script detects if the user has already installed the steam-launcher (and launches it) or not (and then installs it).
It's not the usual way packages are handled, and i don't like it very much, but i prefer it compared to manual installing the games i've got from humblebundle
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian99 wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
Christian99 wrote:

well, depends. you can just run "steam" as a command, and this wrapper script detects if the user has already installed the steam-launcher (and launches it) or not (and then installs it).
It's not the usual way packages are handled, and i don't like it very much, but i prefer it compared to manual installing the games i've got from humblebundle

IMHO, when a pkg is self updated, it shouldn't be installed via pkg manager
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steam ebuilds also check dependencies that are required even if you use the libraries provided by Valve. But, usually, they're already installed on a gaming PC or they are very game-specific.

Btw, the launcher installs some files like icons that are indeed under control of the package manager.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: