Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More tests using 3.12.14:

* If I plug some monitor on the VGA-out, even if I not use it, the notebook i915 KMS work again (I think the hdmi or tv-out work the same for this bug). Then I just need plugin and remove for each boot. But at the moment, I don't have some light monitor to bring along with the notebook, then I will still using the 3.10.33.
I'm getting close to the responsible code (still having little time to spend on this).

Could you guys confirm if is the same for you?
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you don't have one extra VGA monitor for workaround the bug, then you can just force the kernel to enable it (even without it) with the kernel parameter "video=VGA-1:e" (or maybe "video=HDMI-1:e", if you have hdmi instead)

But I have to remember if you use it: The bug still there, you are just workaround it, not solving. And for this, you paid with the extra allocated VGA resource.

EDIT: By the way 2, just on case, I enabled the CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE for possible futures workarounds. I'm not using this now, but after this bug i kinda feel that I will need it someday to force some firmware configs or create my own -_-"

EDIT2: I have make many tests using this workaround and it's work 100% of time for the 3.13.6 in my machine. But I still need of you guys to confirm that for me in another machines, and I will use this information for find the bug in a more proper way.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent along the commit in question to the open bug on this issue. Considering what I've seen, I find it rather annoying that I had to even pass on the commit to them. How could they NOT know the roots of the issues with that driver were in that commit?

Cheers,
Pappy
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I have sent along the commit in question to the open bug on this issue. Considering what I've seen, I find it rather annoying that I had to even pass on the commit to them. How could they NOT know the roots of the issues with that driver were in that commit?

Cheers,
Pappy

Well, just stay calm. Let's join more valuable information:

Then:
* Adding the kernel parameter "video=VGA-1:e" (the same way you added the "drm.debug=0xe" or "i915.modeset=1"). Workaround this for you?
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem that this kind of old hardware is not officially supported anymore. They (kernel dot org) can help with instruction, but can't help with make tests, debug...

They want a bisect into the bugged merge:
Quote:

Yes, please bisect into the merge. That merge consists of 698 commits, of which 321 touch drivers/gpu/drm/i915, with a total diff stat of 440 files changed, 50821 insertions(+), 18085 deletions(-).

$ git bisect good a09e9a7a4b907f2dfa9bdb2b98a1828ab4b340b2^
$ git bisect bad a09e9a7a4b907f2dfa9bdb2b98a1828ab4b340b2

Well, if I had time to do it in the first place, probably, I already had the solution patch make by myself.
I have the workaround until I build some "life time" to spend enough to fix it. If someone of you guys want more speed, just make the bisect and post the result here, I will see the code. I will report back to kernel_dot_org too without much hope, but I will try fix by myself and post some patch (it's not the first time I have to fix intel kernel bug on old hardware by myself anyway).
M i M
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug founded.

Gentoo Bugzilla:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=508082

Kernel Bug Tracker:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67191#c43
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M i M wrote:
Bug founded.

Gentoo Bugzilla:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=508082

Kernel Bug Tracker:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67191#c43

I tested the patch (on 3.14.0) and work very well! 7 reboot times without force VGA and no blank screen. Thanks
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that the "M i M" found the regression, we can try something else:

The Bob Raitz (pappy_mcfae) said: "Version 3.14.1 doesn't work. Version 3.15-rc2 does."

Then, if someone can make the bisect for this, to find what commit that "or fix" "or hide it again", it will be helpful.
The more information we have, the easier it's to find the real cause.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: