Web browser for the old fashioned - suggestions please
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Web browser for the old fashioned - suggestions please Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm looking for a new web browser, since the one I've been used to for ages ( <epiphany-3 ) is pretty much dead, and it doesn't look like MATE are including it in their forking efforts.

So, I'm looking for a replacement, that *hasn't* drunk the "lets hid all the toolbars so we can pretend to be tablet-friendly" kool-aid.

ie, one that looks and behaves like an old-fasioned, toolbar-at-the-top, then the URL bar, then tabs, web browser, and ideally has that as it's default appearance, rather than reskinning one of the "wants to look like windows 8" ones (because the reskin is going to fail when I try to do anything interesting with it anyway)

Yes, I'm being a beardy old grognard here, and probably very provocative, but it's going to get the point across about what I'm after best. Don't try convincing me that the new UI style is better, I'm used to the old one, and on my machine, screen real estate is *not* at a premium, so there's no need for me to use a tablet/desktop compromise UI.
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Seamonkey fits the description! It still follows the Netscape Communicator tradition, with the current Mozilla engine inside. There's a bin version for having a quick look. The source version is pretty stable, gtk-2 based. I can recommend the Mouse gestures add-on, and extra settings with 'about:config' in the location bar.

Cheers
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use palemoon from the palemoon overlay. It's a fork of firefox before they started messing with the UI, with things continuing to be upgraded under the hood.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And from trying to build gnome2's evolution, I find I'm in the market for an email client.

Same requirements, same grumpy old man ;-)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illiander wrote:
And from trying to build gnome2's evolution, I find I'm in the market for an email client.

I recommend Thunderbird, which is one of the most important and useful applications I use (work and personal). I have used it since early 2007 when I started dual-booting Linux and Windows XP on an earlier main laptop. I use Thunderbird to manage six e-mail accounts, two of which are Microsoft Exchange Outlook Web Access accounts that Thunderbird accesses via DavMail Gateway (another excellent FOSS application I rely on for my work).

In early 2007 I imported all my Windows Outlook Express e-mails from 2002 onwards into Thunderbird and have used Thunderbird since. When I checked back in March, my Thunderbird installation had 19,270 e-mails in 478 folders, but the numbers are growing steadily because I receive and send a lot of work e-mails. On my previous two laptops -- both of them dual-booting with Windows -- the e-mail files resided on a NTFS partition jointly accessed by Linux and Windows. Thunderbird in each OS had its own separate prefs.js file but accessed the same e-mail folders and files. On my latest laptop I decided not to bother dual-booting with Windows and just installed Gentoo, and I ported over all the Thunderbird e-mail files easily without losing anything. All I had to do was edit the prefs.js file to change the directory paths for the new laptop.

I use Thunderbird’s search tools regularly, and find them good. I also like the tabbing UI. I use Thunderbird’s Lightning calendar and meeting invitation tools frequently at work. My only grumbles would be the unintuitive method of specifying the e-mail account to use to send acknowledgements to event invitations, and that it is not possible to specify which e-mail account sends an acknowledgement according to which e-mail account received the invitation (albeit there is the work-around of setting up a calendar per e-mail account, which I am using but find rather 'inelegant').

Thunderbird may not be perfect, but it’s still a damn good application and has been incredibly reliable and robust for me over the last eight years, even when I migrated the files between three main laptops (Sabayon Linux/Windows XP on the first, Gentoo Linux/Windows 7 on the second, and just Gentoo Linux on the third). I wish other applications were as good.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illiander wrote:

Seamonkey's got one of them too.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Palemoon. Building from source requires 12G of memory, either real or virtual and takes FOREVER. I've started using the binary from the website, using this ebuild that I wrote myself at /usr/local/portage/www-client/palemoon-bin/palemoon-bin-25.7.1.ebuild:
Code:
# Copyright 1999-2015 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Id$

EAPI=5

inherit eutils

DESCRIPTION="ebuild for project palemoon-bin"

HOMEPAGE="http://www.palemoon.org"

SRC_URI="http://linux.palemoon.org/files/${PV}/palemoon-${PV}.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2"
#/usr/portage/distfiles/palemoon-25.7.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

LICENSE="Palemoon-FL"

SLOT="0"

KEYWORDS="amd64"

IUSE="X "

#DEPEND=""

# Run-time dependencies. Must be defined to whatever this depends on to run.
# The below is valid if the same run-time depends are required to compile.
RDEPEND="${DEPEND}"

# Source directory; the dir where the sources can be found (automatically
# unpacked) inside ${WORKDIR}.  The default value for S is ${WORKDIR}/${P}
# If you don't need to change it, leave the S= line out of the ebuild
# to keep it tidy.
S="${WORKDIR}"

src_install() {
# files will be installed to /opt rather than /usr/bin
        insinto /opt
# the untarred files are in  work/palemoon
# this command copies them from there to /opt/palemoon (not /opt as you might think)
        doins  -r  "${S}"/palemoon
}

pkg_postinst()
{
        chmod +x /opt/palemoon/palemoon-bin /opt/palemoon/palemoon
        ln -s /opt/palemoon/palemoon-bin /usr/bin/palemoon-bin
}

The license I copied from the palemoon site. I believe they are working on an official (for Palemoon) ebuild.
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded www-client/seamonkey to 2.38. This version crashes here several times a day.
Not something to recommend at all. :?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sysrescuecd shipped midori webbrowser. looks like very very old netscape navigator.
Very basic behaviour
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost+found wrote:
I upgraded www-client/seamonkey to 2.38. This version crashes here several times a day.
Might be the same problem as in newer firefox versions, try to compile it without system-cairo USE.
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr wrote:
lost+found wrote:
Might be the same problem as in newer firefox versions, try to compile it without system-cairo USE.
Thank you very much! This seems to work. No crashes in the last couple of hours. *keep fingers crossed* :)
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Illiander wrote:

I recommend Thunderbird, which is one of the most important and useful applications I use (work and personal). I have used it since early 2007 when I started dual-booting Linux and Windows XP on an earlier main laptop. I use Thunderbird to manage six e-mail accounts, two of which are Microsoft Exchange Outlook Web Access accounts that Thunderbird accesses via DavMail Gateway (another excellent FOSS application I rely on for my work).

I also am a Thunderbird fan but Thunderbird is going to become abandonware. So I, another grumpy old man, am also looking for a replacement. I won't use evolution or any other RedHat product.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: