Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
They tend to attract exactly the sort of user who should not be using Gentoo

Agreed. I don't want to appear elitist, but I don't see why there can't be a distribution oriented towards professional computer users/administrators, or for people who want to learn.

There are dozens of one-button Linux distributions out there already. I don't see the point in making Gentoo like Ubuntu. Just use Ubuntu. If you find a quality difference between Gentoo and those other distros, then perhaps the manual nature of Gentoo is part of that success.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
They tend to attract exactly the sort of user who should not be using Gentoo

gwr wrote:
Agreed. I don't want to appear elitist, but I don't see why there can't be a distribution oriented towards professional computer users/administrators, or for people who want to learn.

Indeed; and it's not elitist to choose horses for courses. It's simply sensible.

Trying to be everything to everyone, is a foolish route to go down, ime.

In this case, we're much better off with Gentoo as a basis to do whatever you choose; so you provide that specific something to your downstream users, with much better knowledge of what they need (and much quicker response-times.)
Quote:
I don't see the point in making Gentoo like Ubuntu. Just use Ubuntu.

++
Quote:
If you find a quality difference between Gentoo and those other distros, then perhaps the manual nature of Gentoo is part of that success.

Good point.
I surely find it rock-stable by comparison to bindists (no more lib-dependency-hell), but your wider point is well-taken:
If you try to turn Gentoo into fedora-src (or ubuntu-lite), then you will lose what makes it special, which is different for each person choosing it.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect installer for me would be:

Live USB/CD
Single graphical window that can be split with basic browser on one side for wiki/handbook, terminal the other.
gwr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFCCAE6xF wrote:

Live USB/CD
Single graphical window that can be split with basic browser on one side for wiki/handbook, terminal the other.

Download System Rescue CD and voila.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwr wrote:
GFCCAE6xF wrote:

Live USB/CD

Download System Rescue CD and voila.

I used to use that before scripting my installs but looking back I'd have loved a nice looking simple single window with next to no distractions, qt with comfy oxygen theme and konsole built in.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A graphical installer would be so easy to make, but that isn't the problem.

The problem is the flood of new users with no idea how to maintain their system and therefore conclude Gentoo is of low quality or clog the forums asking the same questions over and over again.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
gwr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to throw another of my two cents in, the problem lies with people who think Gentoo requires a graphical installer because they come from a world where they are a user, into a world of the developer. Or, at least, of a certain variety of developer and/professional for whom the command line is a not a representation of an archaic past.

The graphical installer is, for certain professional people, lock stock and barrel an aesthetic choice. It adds nothing to the process of doing an install other than a mouse and pretty windows, and in fact there are many situations where a graphical install is undesirable or impossible. For non-computer professionals for whom their use of a computer requires a simple installer, there are many distributions.

I would be disappointed if an influx of people drove the distribution towards "simplification for the masses". I am unconcerned that unprofessional users misinterpret Gentoo's worth.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the most convenient way to install Gentoo is over SSH, even if the computer I'm installing to is right next to me. This way I am doing it from comfort of my favorite chair using my main computer and the install is just a terminal window, while I can carry on with my activities and dedicate minimum time to the install - there are steps that take time and do not need any interaction.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
For me the most convenient way to install Gentoo is over SSH, even if the computer I'm installing to is right next to me. This way I am doing it from comfort of my favorite chair using my main computer and the install is just a terminal window, while I can carry on with my activities and dedicate minimum time to the install - there are steps that take time and do not need any interaction.
+1

Exactly how I am used to do it, too.
P.Kosunen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2

For install i boot SystemRescueCd from network with PXE.

Last edited by P.Kosunen on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time i see that topic.

may way is to waste 20gb for a noobish binary distro, like linux mint. Than chroot from the binary distro and reuse the binary distros grub2. bootloader. careful linux mint overwrites the bootloader and configs without asking the user when you update the binary distro. (when you ask me why i wrote noobish binary distros, because they tend to ruin boxes without telling the user what is really done, or ruin themself while upgrading. i managed to get several binary distros unuseable while upgrading after a few years)

these days with gparted livecds, you can expand the parttions later, so you could even get rid easily from linux mint later when you do not want it ...
gwr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish for a graphical installer, then Gentoo may not be the distribution for you. It is a manual, source based distro and offers nothing different from the other distros for the casual user.

This is not an insult. Gentoo's mandate is different from other distros, and it takes a investment in education to use.
Pednick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you the truth, gentoo is mainly a customization distro, if that was taken away, a lot here would be angry, as for me customization doesn't matter to me as long as I have a properly working linux distro is all that matters. A year ago I said the F with gentoo and tried different kinds of distros and learning along the way and trust me, gentoo is cake compared to others out there, now I have gentoo installed no problem, gnome systemd, very fast and efficient, I still dable with other distros cause I'm the kind of person addicted for a challenge of trying to install other distros, all that taught me quite a bit including some script editing which I was forced to use to fix things *cough* linuxfromscratch *cough*. anyway now gentoo is my main internal hd OS, I experiment on my external usb hard drives, when ever I get them to boot, LOL.
alinefr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned a lot of things by installing Gentoo, which is for life: I don't need installers anymore, for any linux distro. When I want to install any distro the first thing I look for is "is there any LiveCD around?" I've installed debian, ubuntu, centos and arch linux by just getting an up-to-date live cd or USB linux stick.

I've spend a lot of time in order to fix things in gentoo... sometimes I saw myself stacked for days without getting any progress. But I would not say that it was time lost. Because this "time lost" has helped me to be more pacient, resilient in any other kind of trouble I would face not just in Gentoo, but any computer trouble. Gentoo requires this resilience from the user, but at the same time, their community is the friendliest, compared to other linux distro forums I've been around this years. The people here are very helpful, and doesn't matter if your problem looks stupid or how noobie you are. This topic is an amazing example about it. Probably this is one of the main things that keeps me here, in this forums, running my gentoo. :wink:

Last edited by alinefr on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Pednick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, they are very friendly here unlike in Arch linux, not really the people but the moderators are so self-centered and arrogant and mean, I say mean at the end cause the fore mentioned is so glaringly apparent. BTW, Arch linux is the easiest non-graphical dvd distros to install, well there is of course the AUI script but manually is just as easy.
alinefr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pednick wrote:
Now that you mention it, they are very friendly here unlike in Arch linux, not really the people but the moderators are so self-centered and arrogant and mean, I say mean at the end cause the fore mentioned is so glaringly apparent. BTW, Arch linux is the easiest non-graphical dvd distros to install, well there is of course the AUI script but manually is just as easy.

I would not name it, but as you already did it... Yes. Arch linux forum is very disturbing. And I use to like Arch as a distro. Before systemd, when you could setup nearly everything in /etc/rc.conf in a BSD way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: