View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeJo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a frequent visitor of the ppc and dutch forum, i can only say that when you are faced with someone installing your favourite distribution, and it has troubles with it you feel ashamed :-) (at least i do)... Then you try to show the user that it isn't gentoo's fault but the users fault (pebkab)...
Mostly it helps and the person in question is gratefull and really thanks you (most distro's there isn't a real habbit of saying thank you).

Also on the irc we do sometimes flame but only to users who are on irc and complaining that they can't connect to the internet (duh how can ya get on irc then :D)

mostly we do everytihng we can to help... I even go to peoples houses (that i've met on irc and only when i really can't solve the problem otherwise) just to show that it aint' getnoo's fault :D

greetings,

SeJo
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That most Gentoo users are friendly seems to be a highly subjective view. I only know a tiny fraction of Gentoo users (including some very unfriendly ones who attack people in this forum or on bugzilla for no apperent reason) and can not make any assertion on the friendliness of the majority myself, but reading postings from time to time on osnews.com, slashdot.org, and other news sites shows that Gentoo users are often seen not as friendly but as the opposite of friendly. Many people seem to see Gentoo users as unfriendly fanatics who can't miss any chance to make other distros down and proclaim how much their distro is better than anything else.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that people who use Gentoo have a DIY mindset. You would need to, if you are going to compile a source from scratch. And most DIY people I've met, including woodworkers, home fixer-uppers, instrument makers, etc., are pretty friendly folk. I think that the same impulse that drives one to build something also drives one to pass that information on to others.
carbon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
also, most assholes can't sit through an entire day (at best) installing gentoo.

:lol: :lol: that made me laughed

Carbon
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say:

SCREW YOU ALL!!! :wink: :wink:

J/K :D ... I am waiting on my age-ed P2-300 :twisted: with 128MB RAM to finish d/l the stage3 tarball 8O . I am appreciating the difference in performance ISA vs. PCI bus. :evil:

This is also the reason I have read all of the 2 pages of posts on this and am trying emoticons all over... :roll:
MrWorf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:
Many people seem to see Gentoo users as unfriendly fanatics who can't miss any chance to make other distros down and proclaim how much their distro is better than anything else.

Can't help to feel a bit guilty about proclaiming that Gentoo rules all distros when someone at work complains about Redhat :D
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way, the Gentoo community definetly kicks major ars. I can't really explain it but it just makes me feel good. #gentoo and its derivates are the only channels I will frequent on IRC, and the gentoo forums are the only forums I will even think of braving.

Everynow and then a heated argument will fire up but all ends up fine.

Keep up the good work community :wink:
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usally like to help if i can, but since i'm new too gentoo, i just don't know all the stuff that the system has too offer, so i can't always help, but i think that there is always someone else how know the stuff that I dont' know...
supreme_geek_overlord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
also, most assholes can't sit through an entire day (at best) installing gentoo.

EXACTLY:!: :lol:

Personally, I would help, but I haven't got Gentoo running yet. Hehe. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: