backlight and nm-applet problems with kernel upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imesg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: backlight and nm-applet problems with kernel upgrade Reply with quote

This is a strange problem. And maybe not a gentoo problem but an upstream problem. I am posting here with the hope that someone here may have an answer or insight enough to tourbleshoot the problems.

I have an lenovo yoga 11s laptop. I am using gnome3 with systemd running mostly good. I am presently running a vanilla-sources 3.10.5 kernel. I also boot an efi kernel. Today I tried to run a 3.12.0 kernel and the result is:

1 At boot time after the initial "Lenovo" screen I see some boot messages momentarily (somewhat less than a second) then the screen seemingly goes blank. But what is really happening is that the backlight goes off but the lcd is continuing to function normally. I found this out by using the hdmi output to my TV and a flashlight to examine the screen. The boot process continues normally. I can start X. After that I can switch to another terminal and login as root and echo some value into /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/backlight (not sure exactly about the path though) and increase the brightness. (Also I set CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=/dev/sda3 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd acpi_video=vendor"
under 'Processor Type and Features'. For the 3.10.5 kernel I have 'acpi_video=backlight'. The backlight control applet although present has no effect.

2. nm-applet also present has no effect. I can however use 'Network Settings" to control my wireless connection. To actually kill wireless though I have to select 'Airplane Mode' to 'Off'.

There could be and probably are other effects that I am unaware of. On one level the two things could be could be connected. Maybe a permission problem. But they could be completely unrelated. This happened recently when I tried another kernel between 3.10.5 and 3.12.0 but I went back to 3.10.5 and forgot about it.

On the face of it though it seems that this is a kernel problem or change in the kernel that I can't figure out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: