change [/foo] for simply [/]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: change [/foo] for simply [/] Reply with quote

I think this should work same as [/foo]. Saves typing and bandwidth.

what ppl think?

UPDATE:

expanding on my amazing idea why not make it:

[code bla bla bla bla /]
[quote this and that /]

or

[c bla bla bla ]

or

[c bla bla bla c]

Current closing tag is too redundant.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tags are redundant by design, a language like Markdown gets around that by introducing some constructs which do not require closing tags; and when tags are used, they use rather minimal syntax.

The feature you mention is present in UBB, but apparently it isn't in BBCode; and as far as I can see it ain't present in newer versions either. Implementing this in a backward compatible way might be tricky...
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
Tags are redundant by design, a language like Markdown gets around that by introducing some constructs which do not require closing tags; and when tags are used, they use rather minimal syntax.

The feature you mention is present in UBB, but apparently it isn't in BBCode; and as far as I can see it ain't present in newer versions either. Implementing this in a backward compatible way might be tricky...

How they look?
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://stackoverflow.com/editing-help
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's probably outside the scope of the Gentoo project anyway...

This forum is based in phpbb2, and phpbb2 uses bbcode for tagging, which, as the user above said, doesn't support such kind of syntax.

Note that even migrating to 3.x seems to be an impossible task. I'd personally migrate to something else entirely before investing more time in patching this beast, which can only make any future migration more and more difficult... but hey! not that I care too much as long as the forum works. After all a great forum is made by its users and contents. ;)
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
Note that even migrating to 3.x seems to be an impossible task.

Maybe, maybe not; I'd be up for it if it was planned to be used.

It just has to be carefully thought and planned out; like one premise is "patches before CVS happened", but those can be found by doing a diff of the unpatched CVS version with the original phpbb version and annotating the diff and deriving use case specifications from that. The commits from CVS can be mapped one-on-one to use case specifications. From there it is a matter of implementing them all, which can take some work; on the other hand, a lot of work here is spared out since the new version already implements quite some features and it is probably possible to reuse plugins or something along those lines from else where.

I'll have to hear with the forum admins if they want to migrate to it if we do the work.

i92guboj wrote:
I'd personally migrate to something else entirely before investing more time in patching this beast, which can only make any future migration more and more difficult...

Yeah, nothing says we should restrict to phpbb2; on the other hand, if a different forum style is used migration will become much more costly and would verge a lot of work. Unless data is dropped, but that is likely a no-go.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: change [/foo] for simply [/] Reply with quote

_______0 wrote:
I think this should work same as [/foo]. Saves typing and bandwidth.

what ppl think?

UPDATE:

expanding on my amazing idea why not make it:

[code bla bla bla bla /]
[quote this and that /]

or

[c bla bla bla ]

or

[c bla bla bla c]

Current closing tag is too redundant.

From experience I know that the bbcode parsing code is not a fun place to be, especially when it comes to nested/incomplete tags. Changing it so that it would understand [/] in the right context would be a lot more painful than having to type out an extra "foo". Although your suggestion for using a shortened version is recommendable, we would still have to support both versions which would double the complexity of the code, which we'd prefer not to do at this point in time.

TomWij wrote:
i92guboj wrote:
Note that even migrating to 3.x seems to be an impossible task.

Maybe, maybe not; I'd be up for it if it was planned to be used.

It just has to be carefully thought and planned out; like one premise is "patches before CVS happened", but those can be found by doing a diff of the unpatched CVS version with the original phpbb version and annotating the diff and deriving use case specifications from that. The commits from CVS can be mapped one-on-one to use case specifications. From there it is a matter of implementing them all, which can take some work; on the other hand, a lot of work here is spared out since the new version already implements quite some features and it is probably possible to reuse plugins or something along those lines from else where.

I'll have to hear with the forum admins if they want to migrate to it if we do the work.

i92guboj wrote:
I'd personally migrate to something else entirely before investing more time in patching this beast, which can only make any future migration more and more difficult...

Yeah, nothing says we should restrict to phpbb2; on the other hand, if a different forum style is used migration will become much more costly and would verge a lot of work. Unless data is dropped, but that is likely a no-go.

Dropping the existing data is a no-go IMHO, what makes these forums is the amount and wealth of knowledge that we have built up over the years as well as the attitude of the users. Upgrading to something else (most likely phpBB3) is still on the cards, but hampered due to lack of resources. We are working on it, albeit slower than everyone (including us) would like.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: