0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 92

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linksLarry,

An initrd is only required if you need user space tools to make the root filesystem available to the kernel.
Like root in LUKS, or LVM or raid.

The kernel has to be able to mount root with no outside help. There is nowhere to load modules from until root is mounted.

Not needing Java is a hard requirement here :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo and the forums. Please consider that we don't know anything about your Gentoo installation other than no java (me too) is that it's not fully working if you can't do the poll. If you need assistance, start a thread about it.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Do you use an initramfs? Reply with quote

linksLarry wrote:
Huh, guess I can't answer polls with links?! (Or I havn't figured it out)
It was set to only accept responses for 45 days.
linksLarry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I must have came off differently than intended. idk why I thought interamfs or whatever was related to and possibly necessary for efi boot (it is the very last step before you find out if you got it, so after a few try's ... idk, guess that's just a lame excuse)

I was not asking for anyone to hold my hand or anything, but it's good to know I don't need it. Now I carefully consider how to remove it (if alternatives are needed, grub configuration, ect; idk but I can, and will, find out)

Yes, no java has been a challenge, but I am here on the forum, got links, a yahoo email account (only non-java I could find), gpm gave me some crap but got that figured out.

If anyone care's you can think of my box as a terrabite liveCD with all the obvios crap for other architectures (and some harder to narrow down junk) removed at this point. (My only other thread goes into more detail on the hardware, but all seems to be working fine.)

Either I didn't see the pole or it was past the 45 day like the guy with the cool signature said (rock on dude, fight the ptb), I mean there always could be some underlying issue of course, but ahkams razor lends me to conclude its fine, and either I or time was the factor. (I had to restart a few times doing to much too fast, being very careful and methodic this time)

TL;DR
Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, just looking for light ways to participate a bit (I neither want to be the guy begging to be told how to do something, nor the worst of too many repliers to a question; kind of a limbo situation, honestly I figured my thoughts on the poll question were .... idk, bearable at least, if not substative as I thought.

Sorry, hope you all are doing well. Change oil and passwords often! :)
linksLarry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as I am sure you all know, simply skipping thge dracut steps makes for a perfectly bootable drive. Just commenting to say done and done and no ill effect noticed (plus I removed 2 packages!). I don't understand what it is I guess ... redundancy, a different way to map the boot process, something different and necessary for some, idk?

I used to think it was necessary for secure boot, now I think it is a different way to send boot commands to the cpu (like grub sends list of landmarks, and interamfs sends a whole map; or something like that.

AGAIN, NOT ASKING FOR ANY HAND HOLDING, JUST THOUGHT A NOOBS PERSPECTIVE MAY BE INTERESTING TO SOME.

TL;DR ditched dracut, doing dandy.

Realized alot of grey area exists for me, which I am now on a quest to uncover. I will read this thread in more detail, then work the wiki and search funxction
linksLarry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No (Other - please explain) Reply with quote

lost+found wrote:
Randy Andy wrote:
- I don't like or need splash screens, it hides helpful information if something goes wrong. ...

Yes, that's the down side. But there's a verbose mode too, which still shows console output with the eye candy as background. F2 switches between silent and verbose mode.

Do you remeber the post? I am currently attempting to get my head around this stuff. It seems my seareches are tio generic. If not no worries, sorry for bothering if I did.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linksLarry,

An initrd is good for a boot anywhere kernel.
The kernel binary will be lean and mean and all the modules will be in the initrd, which is thrown away once its done its thing.

That makes the approach attractive for binary distros.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
linksLarry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
linksLarry,

An initrd is good for a boot anywhere kernel.
I greatly appriciate your wealth of information Sir, thank you. Also, I am glad I -unselect'd and -depclean'd dracut; as I am aiming for a one box distro with as little fluff as necessary it does me no good (as long as I am understanding, which I think I am, initrd contains any archetecture spacific requirerments and the distro dev puts only universally needed .... mappings? idk forget the semantics, only universally needed kernel features enter the grub binary executable which is persistent. Somehow the initrd is not, must be generated on the fly somehow ... or at shutdown ... idk but I know more, I can tell because I have more questions lol)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: