(FLOABW: SOLVED) No Sound: logitech usb speakers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: (FLOABW: SOLVED) No Sound: logitech usb speakers Reply with quote

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=76d19ec368cc9a0a76a3430917aca98dc3f51c6e

Including the above output from alsa-info. Any other information can be provided.

I was getting a bandwidth error from dmesg that never happened before (updating to systemd). I plugged the speakers into a USB 3.0 port and that error went away from dmesg. I do not recall that being an issue on this same computer previously.

This is a rebuild rather than an update. I know I made several stage4s from time to time but I wasn't sure about just dumping it back into / after who knows how much has changed. I placed what made sense back into the system, but I couldn't find anything custom pertaining to alsa. Also, the system that I kept some backups on (gentoo server, didn't stray that far away) had a disk go bad so I probably lost what I am looking when that happened.

Returning to this system from a year-ish on Windows and it feels... different. javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Probably I'm different and do not have as much time as I did previously.

Help me Gentoo Forums. You're my only hope.

Last edited by hardly on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What procedure did you use to select the USB device for output?

If the answer is none, maybe that's your problem - it's showing up as the second device. Probably nothing is being routed to it.

As a troubleshooting measure, you could try disabling the snd_hda_intel module and seeing if it works as the only device.
hardly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the part I couldn't figure out.
Code:
$ cat .asoundrc
defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0
pcm.!default front:AUDIO
Or maybe USB AUDIO?

A guy here said he added "pcm.!default front:Headset" to .asoundrc when his device is shown in "cat /proc/asound/cards" as
Code:
 1 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Logitech Wireless Headset
Mine is shown as
Code:
 1 [AUDIO          ]: USB-Audio - USB  AUDIO
so it made sense to just put the term AUDIO.
I would think that should be sufficient but apparently I either have the syntax wrong or something else wrong. He could have done something else in a clamor to get his audio working. It's not like we track our work with change records and a review board for our home boxes. Who knows.

But what I finally did "activate" the usb speakers with was gnome-control-center --> Sound.

I have gnome3 stuff installed but I can't use it because of it's apparent dislike of non utf8 locales. It never occurred to me to try to use those graphical tools because I am unable to see them easily in a graphical menu. Using fluxbox until I can figure out how to a) boot my system without non-utf8 locales or b) use gnome3 with non-utf8 locales. I turned off "en_US ISO-8859-1" and had trouble. If I could solve those issues I think gnome3 would load something other than a black screen. Until then Fluxbox is fine.

It is kind of hilarious that I back to this kind of trouble after I was unable to properly configure nVidia drivers or install a repository which contained minecraft in Fedora.
We sure pick our battles, don't we.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio in linux has always kinda been a pain in the ass... its one of those things that never had a really good all encompassing standard to start from. And what a mess it turned into.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: