Issues after Grub2 upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smileaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Issues after Grub2 upgrade Reply with quote

First off my system boots !
However after I select the menu option in grub it says: Loading [kernel image name here]..
Then a few seconds later X loads

So whats the problem? I have No output! nothing from the kernel loading(don't overly care tho) Nothing from the initscripts (This is quite useful and thus important to me) But the real problem I have is.. if X for any reason fails to load I'm completely screwed! I don't get any terminal login, beyond X I only get a black screen.
Is this a resolution problem? grub problem? did the initscripts/boot environment change and i just didn't notice? what am I missing :(

I'm using all defaults from /etc/default/grub no changes to /etc/grub.d/* no custom anything
no framebuffer, I do use nvidia-drivers. I'm on an amd64.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure: From your comments about init-scripts, I suppose that you are using openrc!?
What are your grub2 USE-Flags
Code:
I='<version>: <use>\n' eix --format '<installedversions:I>' -e grub

Please post your grub.cfg up to (and including) the first menuentry section.
smileaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am using openrc.

Code:
USE="multislot nls sdl truetype -custom-cflags -debug -device-mapper -doc -efiemu (-libzfs) -mount -static {-test}" GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc -coreboot -efi-32 -efi-64 -emu -ieee1275 -multiboot -qemu -qemu-mips -yeeloong"

grub.cfg
Code:
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub2-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="0"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}

function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd1,msdos2'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos2 --hint='hd1,msdos2'  8c755e2a-46dd-46dc-87a4-a9162e4d23c7
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8c755e2a-46dd-46dc-87a4-a9162e4d23c7
fi
    font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=1024x768
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd1,msdos1'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1 --hint='hd1,msdos1'  1ae25a34-cce1-4702-b08b-3d32b1d97610
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1ae25a34-cce1-4702-b08b-3d32b1d97610
fi
insmod jpeg
background_image -m stretch /grub/background.jpg
if sleep --interruptible 0 ; then
  set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Gentoo GNU/Linux' --class gentoo --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-8c755e2a-46dd-46dc-87a4-a9162e4d23c7' {
   load_video
   set gfxpayload=keep
   insmod gzio
   insmod part_msdos
   insmod ext2
   set root='hd1,msdos1'
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1 --hint='hd1,msdos1'  1ae25a34-cce1-4702-b08b-3d32b1d97610
   else
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1ae25a34-cce1-4702-b08b-3d32b1d97610
   fi
   echo   'Loading Linux 3.10.7-gentoo-r1 ...'
   linux   /vmlinuz-3.10.7-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/sdb2 ro 
}

mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try first to set a different value for gfxpayload, e.g. gfxpayload='1280x1024x32' (or whatever you "native" resolution is).
The next thing I would try is (in addition) to remove the call of load_video in the boot section.
Next thing you can try is to remove "insmode jpeg" and "background_image...".
What certainly should give you a visible screen is if in addition to both of the above you remove the call (or content) of load_video, "insmod gfxterm" (and perhaps in addition load_font).
Of course, if you do all this you have a text-only grub screen, so you can try step by step what you can still use without destroying the boot screen.
(I never compiled grub with "truetype" support, so I had never run grub (succesfully) with "insmod gfxterm" and thus had no reason for load_video, so I cannot help with more experience).
smileaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so removing what you mentioned worked great I'm able to actually see my computer boot up again!
Tho I'll try to do a bit more playing around with things to figure out exactly *why* it didn't show for me so maybe we can keep it from happing to anyone else. plus I'd love to enable a background image and still be able to have my terminal
I've tried enabling a framebuffer in my kernel tho at the time since its been so long since I've set one up my 1st attempt was a failure or it did work and I'm just too stupid to realize it :roll:
my thinking is that grub2 uses a framebuffer, then the kernel has issues outputting when it doesn't know how to handle a framebuffer or something along those lines :lol:
smileaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok framebuffer test did work. after enabling a framebuffer in the kernel I was able to see my console again even with a background image in grub :)
So in order for grub2's default configurations to work (note I only enabled a background image *after* I first noticed it didn't work initially) the kernel must have framebuffer support.
Maybe this is also the cause of the 'truetype' USE flag that you mentioned you didn't use?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smileaf wrote:
So in order for grub2's default configurations to work (note I only enabled a background image *after* I first noticed it didn't work initially) the kernel must have framebuffer support.

I thought this is clear: How can you expect a different resolution to work if the kernel is not able to draw characters in it?
Quote:
Maybe this is also the cause of the 'truetype' USE flag that you mentioned you didn't use?

In this case it would be grub that would need to be able to draw characters. I do not use it, because it pulls in fonts I would not need otherwise. Perhaps it could be setup to use the fonts which I have, but obviously this is not the default under gentoo.
smileaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
smileaf wrote:

I thought this is clear: How can you expect a different resolution to work if the kernel is not able to draw characters in it?

Not as clear as you might expect, the kernel has abilities to change to a framebuffer, so my expectations would be it could also swap it to pure text since it doesn't know how to use a framebuffer, or that grub would drop the framebuffer when it transfers things over to the kernel.
Seems weird to me the kernel doesn't realize it can't output and change the display to something it can output to, tho I understand this would be a rare case and why waste the time/effort in doing this, or that grub doesn't release the framebuffer so as to not assume whatever is being loaded after can handle the framebuffer. then this might also be the side-effects of perhaps the "set gfxpayload=keep" within every menuentry. I don't really know.

Reguardless, the fact that the defaults to grub2 requires your kernel to have a framebuffer to me is a problem. this should be fixed, or at the very least warn the user.
mv wrote:
Quote:

In this case it would be grub that would need to be able to draw characters. I do not use it, because it pulls in fonts I would not need otherwise. Perhaps it could be setup to use the fonts which I have, but obviously this is not the default under gentoo.

my USE in make.conf does not have truetype in it. I am using the desktop profile tho. so thats default enough for me.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smileaf wrote:
or that grub doesn't release the framebuffer so as to not assume whatever is being loaded after can handle the framebuffer. then this might also be the side-effects of perhaps the "set gfxpayload=keep" within every menuentry.

This is exactly the meaning of "keep" here...
Quote:
my USE in make.conf does not have truetype in it. I am using the desktop profile tho. so thats default enough for me.

I explicitly disabled it for grub to avoid the dependency on fonts I do not need.
smileaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
smileaf wrote:
or that grub doesn't release the framebuffer so as to not assume whatever is being loaded after can handle the framebuffer. then this might also be the side-effects of perhaps the "set gfxpayload=keep" within every menuentry.

This is exactly the meaning of "keep" here...

Then the fix is very obvious, this line should be changed to accommodate the possible lack of a framebuffer in a kernel by default, not keep the framebuffer which causes it to require the kernel to have it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: