Firefox filling /tmp up completely with invisible files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Firefox filling /tmp up completely with invisible files Reply with quote

I'm using a netbook with /tmp mounted as a 128MB tmpfs. Recently I noticed various things breaking in bizarre ways, like bash-completion not being able to tab complete. I've tracked that down to /tmp being 100% full, which in turn looks to be caused by firefox using it as a dumping ground for cached HTML5 media files and never closing the filehandles after it's done with them.

Is there any way to make the browser behave itself, either by a size limit or getting it to write to disk instead?
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean /tmp/mozilla-media-cache/, I suggest you to symlink that directory to a directory on your disk as I am unaware of configuration; you can for example do this by creating an executable shell script with the .start extension in /etc/local.d/.

If you mean the cache, although I think it is already on the disk, you can do:

1. Open about:config.
2. Adjust browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled to false and set browser.cache.disk.capacity to the preferred value.
3. If you want it to write to disk, you can create a string browser.cache.disk.parent_directory and set it to the preferred location.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: