Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How good is Gentoo for those with limited internet access?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenC21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: How good is Gentoo for those with limited internet access? Reply with quote

What I mean is, my internet is very, very slow and outdated - I get 50 KB/s at best. How good is Gentoo when it comes to things like this? I currently run Arch and I am feeling the pain of constant software updates locking down my package manager. Is Gentoo good in this regard? Not just in terms of package management, but just general 'required' internet usage to manage it.
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as i like (love) gentoo, i strongly advise against in your use-case. you have to keep portage up-to-date with rsync and everything is downloaded from the internet as sources; for compiling some packages you sometimes need much more than when downloading precompiled binary packages.
you might be able to use it when you download the stuff you need someplace else with faster internet (eg work), but i think this would be a real hassle.
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it painful with limited internet. After a few weeks on a slow and interrupting connection I just installed Calculate Linux until I had a better connection.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenC21,

50k will be painful but if you have remote internet access, you can do all the fetching there.
Its called Sneakernet.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
StevenC21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, these messages are rather disappointing. Regardless, I appreciate each one. Thank you for your time.
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow/unstable internet works, but it'll be a bit annoying.

For syncing Portage with less bandwidth usage, app-portage/emerge-delta-webrsync or using git may help a little, and there is also the still functioning but not properly updated app-portage/getdelta for the actual packages (which IIRC Arch also has a pendant to). Sabayon (binary Gentoo derivative) also does delta updates. That said, I haven't used Gentoo's or Arch's delta updates much since >10 years ago, and you'll certainly have a more limited amount of possible mirrors since the mirrors need to cooperate with the delta update files.

OTOH while I say that using Gentoo will be annoying, I don't necessarily think you'll have a very much more pleasant time with anything else. I guess Alpine or some distro like that has fairly small packages, but last time I checked that it wasn't easy to run a desktop on it. And Gentoo is ultimately one of the distros that allows you to use a lot of smaller packages without depending on too many larger ones.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50KB/s as in 400Kbit/s? It'll be slow but not impossible, my first Gentoo install was over a 512kbit DSL line.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: