Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GPU PCI pass-through virtual machine with no GPU in CPU?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pertplus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: GPU PCI pass-through virtual machine with no GPU in CPU? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a VM that will allow me to use PCI passthru and kernel virtualization. My CPU is the intel i5 760, which does support intel virtualization technology. I want to use PCI passthrough for my GPU, nvidia geforce gtx 650 ti.

However, my processor doesn't have a build in GPU. So is it even possible to have a virtual machine use pci pass through to access the nvidia GPU, while still making it available to linux?

So my first question is, is it even theoretically possible with my set up? I just want Win7 in a virutal machine with full or close to full graphics capabilities.

If it is possible, my second question would be, what's the best vm software to use. Right now I have Virtualbox but it doens't appear to support any pci pass through.

If it's not possible, I'll probably just try WINE. But I like having a virutal machine, it's nice to keep windows segregated :)

thank you in advance for replies
fpemud
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you want is "Primary VGA passthrough". XEN already supports it.
AFAIK, there's no technical obstacle for this function to be implemented in other VM, but only no one is doing it.
This function would be powerful, there's no way for WINE to compete with it.

Another XEN post: http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2013-02/msg00388.html

Quote:
it's nice to keep windows segregated :)

Share your point. I call it "put windows in cage" or "use windows as a library".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: