View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jk121960
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: [Solved]stumpwm Reply with quote

Hi and thanks, I am looking for docs on how to start stumpwm from xinitrc without a display manager, I have tried a couple examples but no success, the X process fails.

I am grateful for any help

Last edited by jk121960 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: stumpwm Reply with quote

jk121960 wrote:
Hi and thanks, I am looking for docs on how to start stumpwm from xinitrc without a display manager, I have tried a couple examples but no success, the X process fails.

I am grateful for any help

"it fails" doesn't qualify as "informative". Please, give us copy-pasted errors or something.

Or, at least, the contents of your $HOME/.xinirtrc file. Again, copy-pasted.
jk121960
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry here is my xinitrc, also the message after invocation of the "xinit stumpwm" is
Code:

Connection to X server Lost.
Waiting for X server to shutdown
.(EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing Log file.

Upon investigation I couldn't find 2 things, a stumpwm executable or a stumpwm config file of any kind, emerge seems to install fine.

I have tried startup routines from both the Arch Wiki and from the StumpWM doc site and nothing

When I run the xinit stumpwm that is defined in my xinitrc the monitors flicker and nothing just back to console.

Is there some routine that I should run to create the executable? or some sort of configure routine?

thanks again for all your help.,

Code:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

case $1 in
    awesome) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session awesome ;;
    dwm) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session dwm ;;
    ratpoison) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session ratpoison ;;
    rox) rox -b Default -p default; exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session awesome ;;
    xmonad) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session xmonad ;;
    #stumpwm) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session stumpwm ;;
    stumpwm) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session --output /bin/mystumpwm --lisp "sbcl clisp" --system stumpwm --init '(stumpwm:stumpwm ":0")';;
esac

jk121960
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get the executable woring by following the post here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-937860-start-0.html

the only thing now is my multiple monitors, I read the docs and it is supposed to handle Xinerama but is just treats all 3 of my screens as 1.

Any direction would be great.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: