Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Cannot emerge kernel sources during installation (amd64)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmrohh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Cannot emerge kernel sources during installation (amd64) Reply with quote

I am performing a fresh install of the stable AMD64 architecture on a bit dated system (AMD64, Sempron 2500+); something is horribly bad. FYI, I am using systemd instead of openrc and this is the only departure from the Handbook; thus, I performed emerge -uDN world while still on chroot in order to get access to systemd.

I managed to install and then compile the kernel (AMD64-stable, that is gentoo-sources 3.17.7) but during boot the system crashed during start-up phase (loading services by systemd), with a loud "BUG: ..." message from the kernel. Trying to change to some sane default settings, I booted from the Minimal Install CD and chrooted; it turned out that kernel/irq/Kconfig is missinng, so I decided to reinstall the sources instead. I was not able to do that for the past two days. The error message when trying to emerge vanilla-sources or gentoo-sources is the same:
Quote:
>>> Install vanilla-sources-3.18.2 into /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.18.2/image/ category sys-kernel
>>> Copying sources ...
>>> Completed installing vanilla-sources-3.18.2 into /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.18.2/image/

>>> Installing (1 of 1) sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.18.2::gentoo

>>> Failed to install sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.18.2, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.18.2/temp/build.log'

but unfortunately build.log doesn't say anything beyond what is above. How can I find out what is actually going wrong there?

Does anybody have a suggestion as to why these issues showed up at all? The HDD is old, but I have used fsck and badblocks on the HDD in question and they have not reported anything. Emerging other packages than kernel sources (vanilla or gentoo) works just fine.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of disk space? (df)
out of inodes? (df -i)
Disk error (dmesg)?

Just throwing out guesses...
hmrohh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these, though dmesg output was the right place to look at: the system quietly ran out of memory and the infamous OOM killer was called in.
sebB
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post emerge --info
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a few possibilities here, the least likely scenario is you have a tmpfs mounted to /usr/portage, basically a ramdisk mounted to the portage work directory, and its taking up all your memory. The more likely scenario is that your just running out of memory, with either scenario it seems like you need to add some swap space. Or if you already have swap space its likely its not active, or an insufficient amount.
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: