Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ethernet device not found using minimal install cd!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karmuhhhh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Ethernet device not found using minimal install cd! Reply with quote

Hey guys, returning Gentoo customer here. The last time I installed Gentoo was roughly 8-9 years ago on my Sony Vaio laptop with a P4 processor. I have been out of the game for quite some time, so I am going to need a little help here. I have a new Dell laptop that I would love to install Gentoo onto, but I am running into a problem right out of the box. Unfortunately, the Minimal Install CD does not recognize any type of ethernet on my laptop, whether it be wired or wireless, so I cannot download anything! The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15z-5523.

Here is an output of lspci:

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
07:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

Any help getting this going would much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I may have posted this in the wrong forum (perhaps I needed it to go into "Installing Gentoo?" If so I do apologize and will a mod please migrate the thread for me? Thanks :)
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is short and is recited all over these forums, do not use Gentoo install CD. Use something else. SystemRescueCD is a popular choice.
Karmuhhhh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
The answer is short and is recited all over these forums, do not use Gentoo install CD. Use something else. SystemRescueCD is a popular choice.

Fair enough, thank you for the response. Would installation be essentially the same as is described in the Installation Handbook? I would assume I just load up SystemRescueCD and use terminal the same as I would through the Minimal Install CD?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the whole process is same.
Karmuhhhh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, downloaded and burned the System Rescue CD and since it is based off of Gentoo (or so I've read), it too does not detect any network devices. I do, however, have a working partition of Linux Mint 15 on here. Is there a way I could possibly install with Mint via Terminal? I would assume that there would be minor differences, such as mount boot partitions from the CD, etc. Any chance there is a guide to installing from another distro?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it too does not detect any network devices

Can you elaborate on this? Does it mean when you run ifconfig -a only loopback is shown?
Yes, you can install from Mint. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atheros AR8161 requires the alx driver, which entered the kernel in 3.10. So you need to use something that has the 3.10 kernel, or that has the alx driver backported. Mint has it backported I think. SystemRescueCD has 3.10 if you boot it with the altker32 or altker64 option.

Intel 2230 support has been there since kernel 3.2, all it requires is the linux-firmware package. Both Mint and SystemRescueCD include it.
Karmuhhhh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you guys a bunch for the help. And yes Jag, it only shows lo as my available ethernet. I'm going to give installing through Mint first, but if not I was able to get everything recognized through altkernel on SysRescue :)
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome! Although credits go to Gusar for identifying your problem. :)
tanqikun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: missing drivers Reply with quote

install drivers on firmware

emerge sys/linux-firmware

before you reboot
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: