where the log is saved for xfce4?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwon Um
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: where the log is saved for xfce4? Reply with quote

Hi, one simple question. I'm using slim+xfce4 (stable), currently. When I used gnome, the application's logs are saved into $HOME/.xsession-errors file. What file does this for xfce4?
I just investigated /var/log/slim.log but it only wrote for slim. Thanks. :)
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Xfce itself has log files. It's up to individual programs to maintain logs. Anything that goes wrong with your display will be either Slim's log or Xorg's log.

If you want your system to break up /var/log/messages into individual log files, install syslog-ng with the "hardened" use flag (do this in /etc/portage/package.use, not in make.conf). Remove whatever system logger you're currently using from your runlevel, add syslog-ng to it, and start syslog-ng. This will make hunting for log files easier. You can also use logrotate to automatically prune/archive old logs.
Pappy's Kernel Seeds: http://kernel-seeds.gentoostudio.org
ssuominen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: where the log is saved for xfce4? Reply with quote

Kiwon Um wrote:
Hi, one simple question. I'm using slim+xfce4 (stable), currently. When I used gnome, the application's logs are saved into $HOME/.xsession-errors file. What file does this for xfce4?
I just investigated /var/log/slim.log but it only wrote for slim. Thanks. :)

When you used GNOME, you propably used GDM as login manager and that's what is creating ~/.xsession-errors
So it's not about GNOME, or Xfce, it's all about the login manager
You can use GDM also to run Xfce and get ~/.xsession-errors
So the right question is "where the log is saved for slim?"
N8Fear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: where the log is saved for xfce4? Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:

So the right question is "where the log is saved for slim?"

You can look up that one in your /etc/slim.conf

Mine is (and I think that this is the default) in /var/log/slim.log, but empty anyways...

Update: It's not really emtpy (was due to logrotate) but it's still not very informative...
init3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: where the log is saved for xfce4? Reply with quote

N8Fear wrote:
Mine is (and I think that this is the default) in /var/log/slim.log, but empty anyways...

Update: It's not really emtpy (was due to logrotate) but it's still not very informative...

Few days ago I've also interested with question of logging xsession messages when using xdm-login (also slim).

It seems, that slim (in my case x11-misc/slim-1.3.6-r3) writes directly to file (looking like hardcoded /var/log/slim.log) only stdout messages.
But user usually is more interested in stderr ones.
Although they (sterr messages) could provide a huge log file.

P.S. To my mind, the best solution will be to use syslog instead direct logging to file.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: