Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Local DNS pulled from KVM, + normal hosts?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Local DNS pulled from KVM, + normal hosts? Reply with quote

Hi,

This is the landscape at my home office:

1. Cisco wireless AC router.
  2. Windows 8
  3. Windows Vista
  4. Mac OS X with Parallels VMs:

1. Windows
    2. Linux, about 6 copies.
    3. Mostly NAT, two bridged.

5. Linux with KVM VMs:

1. FreeNAS
    2. 12 machines and counting of various Linux distros, some of which are for testing and only come up occasionally and others of which are up continuously for services.

6. Android phones.
  7. A couple BluRays and one smart TV.

Characteristics right now:

1. On the KVM host, I can reference the guests by the name in /etc/hostname on the guest. For example, I can ssh buildbox and it knows where buildbox is, even though everything is working by dhcp. I'm using bridged networking mostly.
  2. I have a pretty good Cisco router, and it sees the names of real PCs but it's not picking up the VMs.
  3. I have the VMs all configured by dhcp, and want to keep it that way so when I clone one or move to another network (with the Mac laptop for example) I don't run into problems.

Here's what I would like advice on:

1. I want to be able to have a local-only DHCP+DNS, and I want it to see virtual machines which use bridged mode networking from any device on the network.
  2. I would like the DNS to get the name in /etc/hostname (or the cpu-supplied computer name for non-Linux systems) automatically applied.
  3. Basically, the same thing that's going on with KVM would be really neat if it could be applied to the whole network.

I have experience with dhcpd and with named, but I never got DNS entries to follow the DHCP allocation, and I don't know how to make it be local network only.

A HOWTO would be fine, if somebody knows something.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: