USB to serial converter
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: USB to serial converter Reply with quote

I bought a Keyspan USA-19QW years ago to operate a modem on a laptop w/o serial port, and it worked well back then. But I've never been able to get it to work under Gentoo. Kernel firmware handling has changed considerably in the past few years, and I *think* I'm doing it right ...

Here's the syslog when I plug the device in:
Code:

Oct  4 16:49:15 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 16 using xhci_hcd
Oct  4 16:49:15 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=06cd, idProduct=0118
Oct  4 16:49:15 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
Oct  4 16:49:15 localhost kernel: keyspan 1-1:1.0: Keyspan - (without firmware) converter detected
Oct  4 16:49:15 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 16
Oct  4 16:49:15 localhost kernel: keyspan 1-1:1.0: device disconnected
Oct  4 16:49:16 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 17 using xhci_hcd
Oct  4 16:49:16 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=06cd, idProduct=0119
Oct  4 16:49:16 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Oct  4 16:49:16 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: Product: Keyspan USB Serial Adapter
Oct  4 16:49:16 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Keyspan, a division of InnoSys Inc.
Oct  4 16:49:16 localhost kernel: keyspan 1-1:1.0: Keyspan 1 port adapter converter detected
Oct  4 16:49:16 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: Keyspan 1 port adapter converter now attached to ttyUSB0

But it's not working. The LED doesn't come on, and I get no connection to other devices (e.g. Cisco console) with minicom (very basic, 9600 8N1 settings).

Of course, the device could be broken. But, does the above log indicate that the kernel (or udev?) finds and loads the correct firmware? Or what am I looking for? I have both the correct fw file under /lib/firmware/keyspan, and CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a look to http://blemings.org/hugh/keyspan.html you model USA19QW is not explicitly supported. USA19W is. Anyway, you've got the /lib/firmware/keyspan/usa19qw.fw firmware file.

It make sense to compile the kernel with the appropriate firmware file in if you compile the keyspan support in hard too. Otherwise, the keyspan module should pick the right firmware in the /lib/firmware/keyspan directory when it load. To be sure all possible needed firmwares are installed check the output of
Code:
modinfo keyspan

You need to compile keyspan in module for that what I think is better because you do not have to be sure which firmware file(s) must be include in the kernel. They just have to be available on the root partition. The keyspan module should find the needed one(s).

One other thing, the usbserial module can be parameter to use the model and the vendor ID's of your keyspan key. That can help.

I suggest to plug the key only after the boot is finish. I reed on Internet that it can work on GNU/Linux.
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come to the conclusion that the converter is no longer working - I couldn't even get it to work under Windows.

Bought myself a Pluggable converter and zero problems with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: