Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PS2 keyboard works once gentoo loaded but not at boot...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: PS2 keyboard works once gentoo loaded but not at boot... Reply with quote

This is a strange one...

A keyboard plugged into PS2 socket won't work at boot. I can't call up the BIOS screen or select entries in the grub menu. However, once gentoo has loaded, it's working fine.

If I plug it into USB socket everything works fine through the boot process. Unfortunately I need to use PS2 because I'm using a KVM switch with no USB (and one of the computers has no functioning USB anyway). The KVM switch has been disconnected for testing - same result.

The second computer is showing the same problem. With the keyboard connected directly to PS2, nothing during boot but OK again once gentoo has loaded.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works under Linux and fails in pre-Linux, that sounds like a problem outside of Linux control. I have used PS/2 keyboards even on relatively recent hardware and they work fine in both Linux and pre-Linux. Perhaps your BIOS fails to enable PS/2 ports? Can you change the state of numlock or capslock while in the pre-Linux environment? If not, that would suggest the keyboard is entirely ignored.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case these are UEFI systems there could be some rapid boot mechanism enabled, thus ps/2 initialisation disabled.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rebooted and noticed a "keyboard not detected" message in the boot screen. Caps lock and num lock buttons don't work until I get into gentoo.

Everything worked fine, on both computers, until a few weeks ago but now they both exhibit the same problem.

It's really got me stumped - thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: