Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] rapidly developing packages older than a year?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpkzz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: [Solved] rapidly developing packages older than a year? Reply with quote

Hello fellow gentooers:

Just a small question. Sometimes certain packages fall behind by a long shot to what the original developers call stable.
My particular case is the linear algebra library/interface armadillo, http://arma.sourceforge.net/, which I like a lot.
The "stable" amd64 gentoo "branch" lists version 3.4.4, which according to developers of armadillo is forgotten (they do not list it
anymore in their page, it is from October 2012). The 4.3 is the version that they give support right now.
Of course this is a particular example that interests me, but I am sure there are more.
Why is this? Is there a particular reason for not keeping up to date with this sort of libraries?

Have a great day.
wpkzz

Last edited by wpkzz on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File a version bump request on bugs.gentoo.org

Mostly it's because whoever was maintaining the ebuild for Gentoo lost interest in it, and maybe someone else could pick it up and make another ebuild for the new version.

Or perhaps there's no longer dependencies to it, so it gets forgotten...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wpkzz,

Renaming the ebuild by doing
Code:
cp armadillo-3.6.2.ebuild armadillo-4.300.9.ebuild
ebuild armadillo-4.300.9.ebuild digest
emerge armadillo

Will get you armadillo-4.300.9 built. 3.6.2 is the current gentoo testing version, so it contains
Code:
KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux"

On a stable system, you can remove the ~ or add sci-libs/armadillo to your package keywords.

You should do all this in your overlay, or your next --sync will revert the change, then portage will want to downgrade armadillo.

I've not tested that armadillo runs - I have no idea how to use it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
wpkzz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Solved as indicated, but the question remains... Reply with quote

Thank you NeddySeagoon, the recipe that you indicated is adecuate to solve this particular problem (I do not know how to create MY overlay, but I'll get into it, right now I have my armadillo-4.3). Still, I find peculiar that a good, nice, active piece of software is not being updated in the main branch... probably has to do with what eccerr0r pointed- no one is doing what you sugested doing locally at upstream, that is, no one is taking care of updating the ebuilds for armadillo in particular. May I file still the bug as suggested or even (after testing this version) offer myself to update the general ebuild for portage?

wpkzz
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wpkzz,

Your overlay is explained it the Gentoo handbook

File a bug, include the recipie and explain how you tested and the results you got.
Bump requests that explain what to do, the testing and results leave the devs very little to do.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
wpkzz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks, guys. Reply with quote

Thanks, NeddySeagoon and eccerr0r,

I shall file the error in the bug reports with the recipie, tests and my test of the functionality of the library. I hope then that the ebuild gets proper attention.
After filing I shall mark the thread as Solved.

¡Gracias Raza!
wpkzz
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overlay instructions need updating; I recently updated my tip on setting up a local overlay which explains a bit more on repoman as well.

wrt to the wider question, wpkzz, as others have said it's just a question of when someone gets round to it. You could think about becoming a proxy-maintainer for the package in question. That means you'd file new ebuilds for new versions, and a gentoo developer (like the current maintainer, or someone from the herd) would review them before committing them to tree.

It's worth doing for a package you care about using, since it means it'll get more testing and thus me more stable for your uses in the longer-term. Though it does mean you have to help other users when they run into problems, too.

It's not just for "abandoned" packages that are maintainer-needed, from what I've seen on IRC. Though you could also just contribute by testing and submitting new ebuilds via bugzilla (which is the stage before proxy-maintenance.)
Speaking of which you should check out:
IRC:chat.freenode.net #gentoo (support) and #gentoo-chat if you're not there already.

#gentoo-dev-help can give you help with ebuilds, and you can find out more about proxy-maintenance.

If IRC seems a bit overwhelming, /join #friendly-coders -- it was setup by #gentoo-chat regulars including me ;) -- I'm igli when online.

Regards,
steveL
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: