Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
making portage prefer and use packages from an overlay?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhon987
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: making portage prefer and use packages from an overlay? Reply with quote

Hi,
What is the correct way of making portage prefer and use packages from an overlay I use?

in here - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay#Setting_overlay_priorities - it says: 'all ... overlays take precedence. That is the default behavior, because overlays are designed to "lay over/on top" of the portage tree.'
So if that's the case then why is portage presenting me with the following:

Code:
# emerge -a kdelibs

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  NS   ~] dev-qt/qttest-4.8.6-r1 [5.4.1] USE="exceptions (-aqua) -debug -pch"
[ebuild  NS   ~] dev-qt/qtxmlpatterns-4.8.6-r1 [5.4.1] USE="(-aqua) -debug -pch"
[ebuild  NS   ~] dev-qt/qtsvg-4.8.6-r1 [5.4.1] USE="accessibility exceptions (-aqua) -debug -pch"
[ebuild  NS   ~] dev-qt/qtwebkit-4.8.6-r1 [5.4.1] USE="exceptions gstreamer icu jit (-aqua) -debug -pch"
[ebuild  NS   ~] dev-qt/designer-4.8.6-r1 [5.4.1] USE="exceptions kde qt3support (-aqua) -debug -declarative -pch -phonon -webkit"
[ebuild  NS   ~] dev-qt/qtdeclarative-4.8.6-r1 [5.4.1] USE="accessibility exceptions qt3support (-aqua) -debug -pch -webkit"
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/kdelibs-4.14.3-r1  USE="acl bzip2 crypt handbook nls opengl policykit ssl udev udisks upower -alsa (-altivec) (-aqua) -debug -doc -fam -jpeg2k -kerberos -lzma -nepomuk -openexr -spell {-test} -zeroconf" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 -3dnow"
[ebuild  N     ] kde-base/katepart-4.14.3  USE="handbook (-aqua) -debug"

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

As you can see it wants to pull dev-qt/* lower versions from portage tree instead of keeping the ones I have from overlay.

Whilst $emerge --info --verbose clearly shows:

Code:
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000

kde
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 0

So what am I missing here?
Thanks for the help in advance
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhon987,

Keywording and other 'masks' apply to all ebuilds. Check the keywording in the ebuilds in the overlay.
emerge -av will tell the repository used for each ebuild.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jhon987
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
jhon987,

Keywording and other 'masks' apply to all ebuilds. Check the keywording in the ebuilds in the overlay.
emerge -av will tell the repository used for each ebuild.

Thanks NeddySeagoon, it turns out that those higher version packages are actually from portage tree and not from the overlay (emerge -av has revealed that) .

It seemed so unlikely that I didn't even thought about it and just kept thinking I must stick to those 5.* versions in order to have my kde 5 running correctly, but then I looked and saw that inside ".../package.accept_keywords/kde-frameworks-5.8.keywords" is also 4.8.* versions so I realized I'm all good to emerge.

Damn autopilot thinking sometimes makes us miss things right under our noses...
charles17
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: making portage prefer and use packages from an overlay? Reply with quote

jhon987 wrote:
Hi,
What is the correct way of making portage prefer and use packages from an overlay I use?
Check man portage for "priority".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: