Linux software RAID problems:
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkincheloe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Linux software RAID problems: Reply with quote

I'm having some problems setting up a software RAID-0 array on my SPARCstation 5. Everything seems to go well throughout the install process. I found the install guide and this thread to be extremely helpful. The problem comes when I’m done with everything and I reboot after Step 29 in the guide. When booting the kernel detects the array and is happy with the first disk. Then it comes to the second disk it displays some errors and eventually says that it won't work because there's only one disk in the array. Kernel panic. I realize this is a partially bogus question since I failed to write down the errors before I blew everything away and started over but... Are there any known issues with Linux software raid and sparc machines? Also when I booted off the cd and started the install process again fdisk /dev/sdb came up with an unfamiliar device selection screen asking what kind of drive it was. I don't know if this is related or if it is normal.

My partitions were as follows:

/dev/sda1 - /boot - ext2 - 64MB
/dev/sda2 - swap - 288 MB
/dev/sda3 - Whole Disk
/dev/sda4 - Linux RAID - rest of the disk

/dev/sdb1 - Linux RAID
/dev/sdb3 - Whole Disk

/dev/md0 - / - ext3

mkraid produced no errors, creating the ext3 filesystem produced no errors, mounting the volume produced no errors, and thoughout the install process there were no problems reading from and writing to the /mnt/gentoo directory.

If this rings a bell with someone I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

System:

SPARCstation 5 with 192MB RAM, Gentoo LiveCD 'gentoo-sparc-1.4_rc4.iso', (2) 2GB SCSI disks.
bent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the partitions you're running RAID on DO NOT start at cylinder 0. This isn't documented in the Software-RAID howto IIRC. Sounds exactly like the problems I was having.

Simply repartition the disks, and don't start at cyl 0, start at cyl 1. Then you should be fine. Of course, you'll lose anything you put on them probably, but after partitioning, do mkraid /dev/md0 and then fsck /dev/md0, you may or may not recover.

If you don't mind copying everything back to the raid, just mkfs them after you've repartitioned.

HTH!
bent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the partitions you're running RAID on DO NOT start at cylinder 0. This isn't documented in the Software-RAID howto IIRC. Sounds exactly like the problems I was having.

Simply repartition the disks, and don't start at cyl 0, start at cyl 1. Then you should be fine. Of course, you'll lose anything you put on them probably, but after partitioning, do mkraid /dev/md0 and then fsck /dev/md0, you may or may not recover.

If you don't mind copying everything back to the raid, just mkfs them after you've repartitioned.

HTH!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: