Is PowerPC Dead?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Is PowerPC Dead? Reply with quote

I've priced a PowerMac G5 for about $100. I was thinking of picking it up and learning AltiVec, but the way forward seems to be ARM.

Should I get a PowerPC and learn AltiVec or get an ARM and learn NEON?

P.S. SSE is meh.
NiHaoMike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X86 looks like the winner in high performance for now. Along with CUDA, of course.
GTX 560 Ti 2GB
120mm Delta fan with Cindy Wu sensorless DSP drive
900W Lainey Schmidt digital power system
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (/)
2x 1TB HDD RAID 0 (/bulk)
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiHaoMike wrote:
X86 looks like the winner in high performance for now. Along with CUDA, of course.
Which is not a RISC solution. Which appears to be what wswartzendruber was actually talking about.

However, if you are saying x86 is better than RISC, especially when coupled with a high end NVIDIA GPU, then that's a different kettle of chips. Because that's like saying a Mini powered by a supercharged V8 is better than a 100 seater luxury coach. It's meaningless without at least an explanation of what you are hoping to use the chips for.
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is PowerPC Dead? Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I've priced a PowerMac G5 for about $100. I was thinking of picking it up and learning AltiVec, but the way forward seems to be ARM.

Should I get a PowerPC and learn AltiVec or get an ARM and learn NEON?

P.S. SSE is meh.

PowerPC is pretty much dead but there are still some boards around (embedded), ARM is really booming, currently embedded but it won't take long until it is usable on a desktop.
For example:
http://www.wandboard.org/
http://cubieboard.org/
http://radxa.com/
http://www.hardkernel.com

There is also a new standard EDM for SOC/SOM boards that will maybe make it possible to connect EDM compatible parts to assemble PCs like in the x86 world.

It is probably time to jump the ARM bandwagon, the problem now are graphics drivers but the mali400 is progressing quickly. hardkernel also releases X11 binary blobs.
Well as soon as the graphics problems are solved an arm board with a quad core@1.4Ghz, SATA port, wifi, Gbit eth, PCIe, 4 Gb ram connected to a standard monitor with hdmi can make a geeky alternative PC. Cheap and environment friendly (you don't want to melt the polar ices).
There is also more going on in the ARM software world right now.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
NiHaoMike wrote:
Which is not a RISC solution. Which appears to be what wswartzendruber was actually talking about.

However, if you are saying x86 is better than RISC, especially when coupled with a high end NVIDIA GPU, then that's a different kettle of chips. Because that's like saying a Mini powered by a supercharged V8 is better than a 100 seater luxury coach. It's meaningless without at least an explanation of what you are hoping to use the chips for.
modern x86 processors from intel (and iirc from amd) are risc at the core and use microcode to manage hte cisc translation. you
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: