Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Face of Birmingham or waste of resources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Face of Birmingham or waste of resources Reply with quote

linky

Oh dear.

Quote:
"In-so-doing, we draw attention to the everyday and the unsung, a lasting memorial to the people of Birmingham who are the life-blood of our city."


If you look to the tenements and back to backs of the past, you'd find more inspiration. My initial terror was that this would be publicly funded.
_________________
Easy .. easy .. easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a good example of the multiculturalism that Birmingham is well known for
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
They are a good example of the multiculturalism that Birmingham is well known for


:wink:

Still a bloody waste of resources, you could stick me on a plinth - why not, grew up around here, have family in the black country. The reason why you wouldn't, is that I've done bugger all.

If you wish to celebrate this area, as indicated in my above post, have a look at those that had nothing. Or even better still, don't commission a luddy statue in the first place.

Got right on my goat that did on the way back from work.
_________________
Easy .. easy .. easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4341
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
you could stick me on a plinth - why not, grew up around here

I would vote for that.
_________________
the table is made from wood. forget what you learnt, the table is made from carbon. forget what you learnt, the table is made from protons. forget what you learnt, the table is made from quarks. forget what you learnt, the table is good for shagging on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
They are a good example of the multiculturalism that Birmingham is well known for


:wink:

Still a bloody waste of resources, you could stick me on a plinth - why not, grew up around here, have family in the black country. The reason why you wouldn't, is that I've done bugger all.

If you wish to celebrate this area, as indicated in my above post, have a look at those that had nothing. Or even better still, don't commission a luddy statue in the first place.

Got right on my goat that did on the way back from work.
What is the difference between them or an Aston Villa footballer? Or a Balti?

Not every piece of art has to represent something, look at the Angel of the North - that now represents the north because of it's fame and placement
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16118
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is part of a three-year project by Turner Prize-winning artist Gillian Wearing and the Ikon gallery to find out what it means to be a family.
:facepalm:
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Not every piece of art has to represent something, look at the Angel of the North - that now represents the north because of it's fame and placement


The point is that this piece of "art" *is* supposed to represent something :

Quote:
"In-so-doing, we draw attention to the everyday and the unsung, a lasting memorial to the people of Birmingham who are the life-blood of our city."


It's frivolous crap, using resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

The angel of the North, IIRC is supposed to be symbolic of the industry - the choice of rusty metal or something like that.
_________________
Easy .. easy .. easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum