Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE "System Settings" Missing Desktop Search Icon (Solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
causality
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: KDE "System Settings" Missing Desktop Search Icon Reply with quote

I recently upgraded to the latest stable KDE offered in Gentoo: version 4.10.5. Everything went smoothly and for the most part, I am enjoying the new system.

However I noticed some CPU activity I wasn't expecting and a simple look at "htop" showed me it was "nepomukservicestub" and "virtuoso". As far as I can tell, they were performing an index for desktop search.

Then I remembered I had compiled KDE without the "semantic-desktop" USE flag for the longest time but finally had to include it against my will (keeping it off was becoming too much of a headache - so much for options). That's fine, hard disk space is relatively cheap. I just don't want it to actually perform the indexing. On every other system I have seen, on multiple distros, one can click on KDE's System Settings and find a "Desktop Search" icon with checkboxes to disable it.

The problem is, on my system there is no "Desktop Search" icon under KDE's System Settings. It's just ... gone. I can manually kill off virtuoso and nepomukservicestub but that's a less-than-elegant solution. How would I restore this icon so I can easily and permanently disable indexing? There seems to be no obvious package providing it.

Last edited by causality on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably this?
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=475464
causality
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why that bug report says it was fixed in early July by performing a sync. However, installing kde-base/nepomuk did fix this for me. Thank you. It didn't occur to me to install a "Nepomuk Client" in order to have control over the desktop search server.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: