systemd back to openrc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkasak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: systemd back to openrc Reply with quote

Greetings.

I foolishly switched to systemd, and now want to revert to openrc. I'm wary of just "doing it", as this is my main work laptop, and it would be painful to have to re-install in a hurry. Other than using eselect to select openrc, is there anything else that I'd have to do? I realise some things built with systemd support will break ... I can deal with that myself ... as long as my system boots at least into a console with network support I guess.

If you're curious why I'm going back ... I'm trying to get a realtime kernel booting ( build with genkernel ) ... and systemd flatly refuses to boot it.

Any gotchas I should note?

Thanks.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club!

Ok, my experience was quite a while ago, however both openRC and systemd can cohabitant on a single system, so its doubtful you will render your system unbootable. What you need to do is first set -systemd and in your use flags. Next, emerge -auvNDt world delete any systemd boot parameters you pass in your boot loader (specifically any init=). Reboot. It should be openRC with your full environment back.

That should do it. If you want to remove systemd, after you have rebooted it should be safe to emerge -C systemd and emerge -a1v udev or eudev depending on your preference. emerge -ac is called for as a final clean up.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I too reverted a test system back to openrc.
1. Made sure that -systemd +openrc +consolekit (need this last one for nm-applet) was in place.
2. Then I did a emerge -auD --changed-use world
3. Then a emerge -C systemd
4. Finally, a emerge sys-fs/udev
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: