Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
richk449 in criminal possession of a weapon?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: richk449 in criminal possession of a weapon? Reply with quote

Quote:
“In the past, one had to really strive hard to convict somebody of a felony when a dog was the instrument that caused the damage,” said Kenneth M. Phillips, a Los Angeles-based lawyer focused on canine law. “Now, prosecutors are using these laws that usually apply to guns and other weapons to enhance charges. That is going on all over the country right now. Far more than it was even two years ago.”
Quote:
While it is not uncommon now to see convictions in dog attacks for assault with a deadly weapon, the question of whether a person can also be charged with weapons possession in such instances has been more muddled.
Quote:
That was enough in 1992 for a New York appellate court to uphold a weapons possession conviction in Binghamton, N.Y., finding that a dog is an instrument and therefore a weapon. “Defendant caused the animal to growl and lunge at the officers while being restrained only by a leash, which defendant held and could release at any time,” the court said.
Quote:
“Unfortunately, we frequently see overcharging by the police, particularly when the charging seems related to conduct by the police themselves. The fact that the language of the statute is overbroad is almost a license for overcharging.”
Quote:
The Brooklyn district attorney’s office said the arrest of Mr. Austin came after he left the home with the two dogs and encountered the police. One of the officers told him to control his dogs, but instead, the authorities said, he ordered them to attack, making them the instrument of an attempted assault. Each officer fired two rounds.

A lawyer for Mr. Austin disputed that account, saying his client had been outside for a while before the plainclothes officers rushed up. “He was looking at his dog,” said the lawyer, Rudyard F. Whyte. “The dog was there playing with a pair of pants, because he was just a puppy.” He said both dogs were tethered when the officers arrived.

Neighbors in Bushwick said Mr. Austin and the dogs were a regular presence in the area. John Jones, 27, an engineer for Con Edison, said the dogs were not vicious.

Martin Vidal, 36, a printer, recalled hearing a commotion on the morning of the shooting and walking outside to see Mr. Austin on the ground and in pain. Since then, he has seen little of Mr. Austin.

“I always saw him walking his dogs,” Mr. Vidal said. “Then I didn’t see him no more.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/nyregion/in-brooklyn-weapons-possession-case-the-dangerous-objects-were-dogs.html
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a dog ... is a good guy with some table scraps?

I have nearly zero sympathy for pit-bulls, or their owners. Not all pit-bulls are out of control, but if a big dog is out of control, and the owner doesn't seem to care, there are very good odds that it is a pit-bull.

I don't know if the problem is the pit-bulls themselves, or that the kind of people who want to own pit-bulls are disposed to be bad owners, but either way, they are a scourge on responsible dog owners.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you just remember that when the cops go dashing up your front steps in pursuit of a criminal and your dog goes after them (as is their territorial wont), and they shoot both your dog and you, and then charge you with being in criminal possession of a weapon. Your dog looks like it's part pit-bull (well, close enough to be lumped in with them by a prosecuting attorney).
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawyers have autism, fucking technocrats.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
I don't know if the problem is the pit-bulls themselves, or that the kind of people who want to own pit-bulls are disposed to be bad owners, but either way, they are a scourge on responsible dog owners.

I think pit-bull owners fall into two categories, first one is your traditional dog owner, and the second group are all the retards and weaklings who buy a pitbull because they hope it projects a macho image which they don't have organically. You know, pussies with pitbulls and rottweilers.

The problem is, pit-bull is a high energy, high small pray drive dog who likes to fight against other dogs. Almost all terriers are like that. But you put that personality into a bunch of muscles and you end up with a hybrid dog that needs a lot of work and steady hand. And the weak fuckers just ain't got that, in their character. So you end up with dog taking the lead since it's character is stronger then the owners, getting stressed out and jumping at every dog out there just to make sure. It's just a bad combination, not saying that pitbull is the same dog as the golden retriever, but there should be a required mental test to owning a dangerous animal. It's not animals fault, it's driven by its genetics and instinct.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a dog ... is a good guy with some table scraps?

I have nearly zero sympathy for pit-bulls, or their owners. Not all pit-bulls are out of control, but if a big dog is out of control, and the owner doesn't seem to care, there are very good odds that it is a pit-bull.

The government problem isn't limited to Pit Bulls.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
richk449 wrote:

The government problem isn't limited to Pit Bulls.

I would ask for an explanation, but I know by now that won't be any use.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the pit bulls I've seen are dumb as a post.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Inbreeding does produce morons.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Old School wrote:
Inbreeding does produce morons.

Indeed. Just look at European "nobility".
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
I would ask for an explanation, but I know by now that won't be any use.
Which part do you need clarified? The government failure, or the failure by so many people to ignorantly focus on Pit Bulls?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: