Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[fixed / not necessary] Is it possible to override @system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: [fixed / not necessary] Is it possible to override @system? Reply with quote

The box I'm currently sitting in front of is running Sabayon. I installed it by first installing Gentoo, and then manually installing equo and installing Sabayon from scratch using that -- see also https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Install_from_an_existing_Linux_system. So now I'm happily running Sabayon, but some of my favorite packages are only available from overlays which Sabayon doesn't have. Therefore, I still use portage from the underlying Gentoo system to manage these packages which aren't available in Sabayon.

Just now I had an insane idea. If I deleted /var/db/pkg (which contained all packages from the stage3 which are now managed by Entropy and should not be touched by Gentoo anymore) and re-installed all my Portage packages in a fully pristine /var/db/pkg, I would be able to easily track updates to my Portage-managed packages by running 'emerge -u --nodeps world'. This wouldn't be possible if I had kept my stage3's /var/db/pkg because then Portage would also try to update the stage3 packages, which are no longer managed by Portage and would completely break my system if it tried to reinstall them.

So now I have an empty /var/db/pkg save for the packages I explicitly want Portage to manage. All is well now. However, there's one small snag in my plan: when I run 'emerge -u --nodeps world', Portage also wants to pull in all packages that are part of the @system set. They are no longer in /var/db/pkg because I didn't want Portage to try to updtae them, but now of course it thinks they aren't even installed. That was the idea, I know, but I'd like to be able to tell Portage that it shouldn't worry about these packages because they do in fact exist and are just managed behind its back.

So, I'd like to ask: is it possible to override the @system set? I could edit the files in /usr/portage but they'd get overwritten every time I ran 'emerge --sync' :(

(In retrospect, it would probably have been a better idea to keep those packages listed in /var/db/pkg and just mask any newer versions. But that wouldn't be as interesting :P (nor would it be correct, at least from my point of view: I'd be lying to Portage that the packages were fixed at their stage3-install-time versions instead of just telling it the packages simply aren't its to manage))

Last edited by Aquous on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to override @system? Reply with quote

Aquous wrote:
I'd be lying to Portage that the packages were fixed at their stage3-install-time versions instead of just telling it the packages simply aren't its to manage

The latter task is what package.provided is for.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to override @system? Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Aquous wrote:
I'd be lying to Portage that the packages were fixed at their stage3-install-time versions instead of just telling it the packages simply aren't its to manage

The latter task is what package.provided is for.
I tried package.provided but it seems it's only used for dependency calculations, not for selecting which packages are members of a fixed set. If I add all packages portage wants to emerge "newly" to package.provided it still wants to merge them when I run 'emerge -p --nodeps world' :(
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use @selected instead of @world to skip @system packages (@world is simply the combination of @selected+@system). This could require using portage-2.2.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Use @selected instead of @world to skip @system packages (@world is simply the combination of @selected+@system). This could require using portage-2.2.
Thank you! That does exactly what I wanted :D

(It also turns out that what I wanted is not necessary after all, as 'equo rescue spmsync' can be used to make entropy and portage work together :P )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: