View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Why Darktable 1.4 can't open raw files? Reply with quote

I recompiled all darktable's deps but in vain.. still nothing. :(

If i switch back to darktable-1.2.3 it opens the same file! :?

This file: http://c.sdbx.co/1dNyhpn
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do a lot with Darktable, but just last week I used 1.4 to look at some NEF (Nikon DSLR raw) files my brother gave me, from his Nikon D5100. I've used Darktable to look at NRW (Nikon compact raw) files from my P7100, but not since moving to 1.4. I can try that out today or tomorrow, if that helps you.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
I don't do a lot with Darktable, but just last week I used 1.4 to look at some NEF (Nikon DSLR raw) files my brother gave me, from his Nikon D5100. I've used Darktable to look at NRW (Nikon compact raw) files from my P7100, but not since moving to 1.4. I can try that out today or tomorrow, if that helps you.

Please try!
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked again. I don't normally grab the NRW files, since I don't really use them yet and they take so much hard drive space. So I grabbed one and fired up darkable 1.4. Viewed it with no problems. This was an NRW file generated by a Nikon P7100.

Just a thought, what were your USE flags?
Code:
~ $ emerge -ptv darktable

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ~] media-gfx/darktable-1.4  USE="gphoto2 jpeg2k nls openmp rawspeed slideshow squish -colord -doc -flickr -geo -gnome-keyring -graphicsmagick -kde -opencl -pax_kernel -web-services -webp" LINGUAS="es -cs -da -de -el -fr -it -ja -nl -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -ru -sq -sv -uk" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

* IMPORTANT: 17 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

Most notably:
Code:
~ $ grep rawspeed /usr/portage/profiles/use.*desc
/usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc:media-gfx/darktable:rawspeed - Enable the rawspeed backend

To be honest, I don't know what the rawspeed backend is off the cuff, and it's late so I don't want to look it up now. But it does have "raw" in the name. Maybe it's significant.
mubai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darktable uses rawspeed and libraw as its first choices of raw decoders, as opposed to most other raw converters, which use Dave Coffin's dcraw. However, darktable uses dcraw for fall back, and should be able to open your file just fine.

As I don't use darktable (for various reasons, image quality being the biggest), I can't test your file, but RawTherapee does open it fine (RawTherapee uses dcraw). I'd suggest you open a ticket at darktable's bug tracker or, perhaps even better, send an email to their dev-mailinglist: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/darktable-devel. I know the devs are quick to respond.

Regards,
Johan
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mubai wrote:
Darktable uses rawspeed and libraw as its first choices of raw decoders, as opposed to most other raw converters, which use Dave Coffin's dcraw. However, darktable uses dcraw for fall back, and should be able to open your file just fine.

As I don't use darktable (for various reasons, image quality being the biggest), I can't test your file, but RawTherapee does open it fine (RawTherapee uses dcraw). I'd suggest you open a ticket at darktable's bug tracker or, perhaps even better, send an email to their dev-mailinglist: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/darktable-devel. I know the devs are quick to respond.

Regards,
Johan

Thank you! I'll do it.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Darktable 1.4 can't open raw files? Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:

By the way, this site wanted me to sign up and install their software. That's why I didn't use your file. Might you be able to use pastebin or some site that doesn't require signup/installation?
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Darktable 1.4 can't open raw files? Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Kollin wrote:

By the way, this site wanted me to sign up and install their software. That's why I didn't use your file. Might you be able to use pastebin or some site that doesn't require signup/installation?

But it does't require registration - you just have to click on the big gray folder image in the center of the screen to get my raw file.
Their native language is french so don't be very picky with the words :wink:
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looked like it needed registration. I'll give it another tonight at home.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ darktable 2014_01_28_14_56_46.raw
[rawspeed] No decoder found. Sorry.

Tried the gimp too, which I built with raw support.
Code:
2014_01_28_14_56_46.raw: unsupported file format.

Come to think of it, the error with darktable was due to "rawspeed" - you might try rebuilding with "-rawspeed" which will cause it to fall back to "libraw" for reading the file, which might have better luck.

I also just tried the gimp on both NEF and NRW files, and both loaded correctly, so I had built with raw support.

What kind of camera do you have, anyway?
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Code:
$ darktable 2014_01_28_14_56_46.raw
[rawspeed] No decoder found. Sorry.

Tried the gimp too, which I built with raw support.
Code:
2014_01_28_14_56_46.raw: unsupported file format.

Same error gives darktable-1.2.3 but opens the file and i'm able to edit it.

depontius wrote:

What kind of camera do you have, anyway?

X-ray dental sensor.
I'm able to open those .raw files with rawtherapee.
mubai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin,

Just for testing purposes, I built darktable from git (currently 1.5+320~g1c4381e) but to no success. Therefore, I doubt it can be easily fixed without help from the devs: Although I find it strange that it cannot open it - it should fall back on dcraw. (Tried to update dcraw and rawspeed (see scripts within source) but unfortunately nothing helped.)

I suggest you try darktable's mailing list. If you find a resolution, please post back here.

Regards.
mubai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin,

Forgot to say: If you have a lower volume of images, there's usually less need for catalogue management which darktable can provide you, and perhaps RawTherapee fills your needs just fine. I'd be happy to answer your questions regarding the programme!

See the excellent forums here: http://rawtherapee.com/forum/index.php where more skilled-than-me-persons can help you...

Best of luck!
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mubai i'm still waiting for a response from the mailing list, i'll let you know of the result. ;)
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the bug report:
http://www.darktable.org/redmine/issues/9804
;)

And the solution is:

Quote:
It would seem that the file isn't a RAW file at all. It's just a plain TIFF.

So if you give the file a proper filename like 2014_01_28_14_56_46.tif, it seems to work fine over here using the darktable-1.4.x branch.

I have no clue why a previous version of Darktable would have read the file without issues, so that appears to have been an accident, as it shouldn't have.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: