Set up network while installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mallniya
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Set up network while installation Reply with quote

Here is the deal: have netbook Lenovo ThinkPad X121e (Network card Realtek 8188ce - figure out using lspci), booting from livecd to install gentoo.
Tried many possible modules to load (modprob+options with rtl* and such), no effect :(
Is it even possible for livecd not to support exactly my Realtek card?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible.

You would probably be much happier using the System rescue CD instead. It includes some niceties like X, xfce, network manager, and a web browser not to mention better wireless support. It does not change the install process at all, but it does make it easier. You can even use the GUI tools to set up your partitions if you want.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
HenryPeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Its possible.

You would probably be much happier using the System rescue CD instead. It includes some niceties like X, xfce, network manager, and a web browser not to mention better wireless support. It does not change the install process at all, but it does make it easier. You can even use the GUI tools to set up your partitions if you want.

Back at trying to install Gentoo with new "stuff," I'm having similar problems with a "Ralink RT5390R 802.1 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter." Besides the Gentoo LiveDVD (AMD64)... I DID try System rescue CD... no connect there either (same also with my ethernet connect).

In the spirit of seeing if I could boot up with UEFI (Windows 8 version of a bios) & an external USB 3 hard drive (on my new HP Pavillion 500, AMD64 desktop), I also tried Ubuntu Studio live DVD (though I did not actually install), & it configured wireless for me, all I had to do was enter my router key... then I also temporarily installed Debian Wheezy & Mate... on the external hd, wouldn't connect with wireless, but would via ethernet (the installation more or less worked; Gnome 3 does apparently not like my AMD64 Radeon integrated graphics card :? ). Very puzzling. :?:

Any suggestions welcome!
Henry

P.s., I think I read awhile ago, something about an RF kill switch...? (not sure of the relevancy, but thought I might ask, just in case...)

P.p.s., I just now posted this (slightly modified) as a "new" topic at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7399782.html#7399782
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: