A majorly interesting discussion about race in US sports
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: A majorly interesting discussion about race in US sports Reply with quote

I listen to the podcast of the World Football Phone in where this morning they were in Washington DC on the anniversary of King's "I have a dream" speech.

Anyway, have a quick listen - you only have to listen to the first 10 mins. The first American guy talks about how sports in America doesn't have any really overt racism but it is almost accidental, clubs like players who can boost their merchandising and black players do that less so they are financially less viable. I think the words the guy used were "lack of inclusivity". The next guy (Sean Wheelock, a regular contributor) disagreed and said it has been virtually eliminated.

Anyway, I found it interesting - from an outsider's POV

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio/wf/wf_20130824-0539a.mp3

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will believe racism in sports is ended when I see more than three white guys on an NBA court at the same time.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A majorly interesting discussion about race in US sports Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
The first American guy talks about how sports in America doesn't have any really overt racism but it is almost accidental, clubs like players who can boost their merchandising and black players do that less
Are we talking Football or Soccer? Any more, the biggest sports stars are usually black. At least for the NBA, and the NFL isn't far behind. In the NFL, more quarterbacks are white (last I heard anyway), but a LOT of the other players who are stars are black. Merchandising is focused on these "big names." So unless this guy is claiming that the merchandise of white players far outsells that of the merchandise of the black players, I think he is smoking crack. If he is correct in the sales of merchandise being lopsided, then I'm genuinely surprised.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I will believe racism in sports is ended when I see more than three white guys on an NBA court at the same time.
I don't think that is racism, I think it is a matter of how many black kids seek out the sport, and spend a LOT of time practicing. The best go to the top. It is about money, and I can't imagine a team thinking they could win with a specific white forward instead of a black forward would choose the latter. Money does not discriminate.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Old School wrote:
I don't think that is racism, I think it is a matter of how many black kids seek out the sport, and spend a LOT of time practicing. The best go to the top. It is about money, and I can't imagine a team thinking they could win with a specific white forward instead of a black forward would choose the latter. Money does not discriminate.

sarcasm
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leftist Utopia of Diversity

Quote:
THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.

Some things about living still weren't quite right, though. April for instance, still drove people crazy by not being springtime. And it was in that clammy month that the H-G men took George and Hazel Bergeron's fourteen-year-old son, Harrison, away.

It was tragic, all right, but George and Hazel couldn't think about it very hard. Hazel had a perfectly average intelligence, which meant she couldn't think about anything except in short bursts. And George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at all times. It was tuned to a government transmitter. Every twenty seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains.

“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A majorly interesting discussion about race in US sports Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
The first American guy talks about how sports in America doesn't have any really overt racism but it is almost accidental, clubs like players who can boost their merchandising and black players do that less
Are we talking Football or Soccer?
American football.

They go into all sports if you listen though

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so, just making sure.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe none of you took your time out to listen to it. IT'S FULL OF FUCKING AMERICANS AND AFRICAN. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO LISTEN TO AN ENGLISHMAN

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually listening to other stuff, so audio or video (if audio is required) is inconvenient. And since I disagree with the basic premise the guy is making, it doesn't seem worth coming back to later to listen to.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'm usually listening to other stuff, so audio or video (if audio is required) is inconvenient. And since I disagree with the basic premise the guy is making, it doesn't seem worth coming back to later to listen to.
Ffs there are 2 different premises. The idea is you listen to them both and comment on which you feel is the best

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A majorly interesting discussion about race in US sports Reply with quote

Sorry, my bad. I missed the second opinion due to the disparity of comments. At any rate, I explained why I disagreed with the first guy.

cokehabit wrote:
Anyway, have a quick listen - you only have to listen to the first 10 mins. The first American guy talks about how sports in America doesn't have any really overt racism but it is almost accidental, clubs like players who can boost their merchandising and black players do that less so they are financially less viable. I think the words the guy used were "lack of inclusivity".

cokehabit wrote:
The next guy (Sean Wheelock, a regular contributor) disagreed and said it has been virtually eliminated.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: A majorly interesting discussion about race in US sports Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Sorry, my bad. I missed the second opinion due to the disparity of comments. At any rate, I explained why I disagreed with the first guy.

cokehabit wrote:
Anyway, have a quick listen - you only have to listen to the first 10 mins. The first American guy talks about how sports in America doesn't have any really overt racism but it is almost accidental, clubs like players who can boost their merchandising and black players do that less so they are financially less viable. I think the words the guy used were "lack of inclusivity".

cokehabit wrote:
The next guy (Sean Wheelock, a regular contributor) disagreed and said it has been virtually eliminated.
Fair enough. The original question was that the that the US had almost an apartheid in sports. If you agree with it, when did it change?

Go to the link and listen from 9 minutes (just for a few minutes). You get one great view and then another. People on this forum should then tell you where they stand and where they stand because it's not about good and bad. It's an actual serious discussion topic which is treated as such - maybe differently because it's a european radio show.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: