83%  [ 5 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Mark Kermode Film Club: Point Break Reply with quote

I have to say, Point Break was always one of my guilty pleasures. It always seemed like one of those films I really enjoyed but shouldn't have - the kind of one that you don't tell your friends that you love. I am so glad I wasn't the only one!!! :D

And please, watch the video before you comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/posts/Film-Club-Point-Break

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Last edited by Butts McCokey on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll admit I enjoyed it too.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And please, watch the video before you comment.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the movie a few times, I don't need to watch some video. Also, I edited my post above.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I've seen the movie a few times, I don't need to watch some video. Also, I edited my post above.
Sorry, I didn't see your post. It was meant for everyone. Maybe I should edit the original post

notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Break was an excellent movie. Now let me see what that link in OP has to say about it. (Presumably it has something to say).

Edit: What?! Keremode likes Point Break?!?!? WTF?!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there anything relevant in the video?

I generally liked Swayze in movies, but this one didn't do much for me. It didn't meet the level of what I'd call good.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a popcorn muncher of a film, which is the goal on an action movie. Action films aren't my favorite, but I do really enjoy them. I found Point Break to be fun, and it had a weird edge to it as well.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Point Break was an excellent movie. Now let me see what that link in OP has to say about it. (Presumably it has something to say).

Edit: What?! Keremode likes Point Break?!?!? WTF?!
I know. That is why I like Mark Kermode. His knowledge about movies and movie making is second to none but he isn't your average critic, the type of critic that thinks they are above films and thinks that if it isn't 4 hours long and black and white then it is useless.

Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good. It opens with cliches about surfers, FBI, cops, generation gap, etc. Towards the end when the paths taken by respective characters starts to reach resolution, it becomes interesting. Ending was cool, although unlikely.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
I think it's good. It opens with cliches about surfers, FBI, cops, generation gap, etc. Towards the end when the paths taken by respective characters starts to reach resolution, it becomes interesting. Ending was cool, although unlikely.
Spend enough time in surfing communities and you get to realise it's not a cliché though. The ones that are in the sea at 6am in the winter and who treat it like a religion.

Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Spend enough time in surfing communities and you get to realise it's not a cliché though. The ones that are in the sea at 6am in the winter and who treat it like a religion.

It wasn't what I was refering to, more reflecting over the drinking heavy bit and the language itself. We don't have waves, so our closes equivalent would be people that are in mountains/kayaking/mountainbiking/whatever you do in nature. The people come from various backgrounds, habits, musical preferences, etc. The common theme is the realisation that the human life should be lived as close to the nature, and far away from the mechanical and man-made economics rat race. Which only makes sense, to me anyway.
The movie portrays them almost as still attached to the mainstream society, and the only paradigm the writer has to use for that is quasi-religious aspect of it and buddhism. It has nothing to do with religion, more with seeing the modern society as fucked up mechanical shit it is.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
It has nothing to do with religion, more with seeing the modern society as fucked up mechanical shit it is.
That is true of the weekend-warrior set. For those doing it a 6am in the winter on a weekday, they are not at all comparable.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Prenj wrote:
It has nothing to do with religion, more with seeing the modern society as fucked up mechanical shit it is.
That is true of the weekend-warrior set. For those doing it a 6am in the winter on a weekday, they are not at all comparable.

Ah, yes, I forgot. Nobody on the planet is living according to the nature except the americans. My bad.
:lol:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the only one mentioning Americans.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Prenj wrote:

It wasn't what I was refering to, more reflecting over the drinking heavy bit and the language itself. We don't have waves, so our closes equivalent would be people that are in mountains/kayaking/mountainbiking/whatever you do in nature. The people come from various backgrounds, habits, musical preferences, etc. The common theme is the realisation that the human life should be lived as close to the nature, and far away from the mechanical and man-made economics rat race. Which only makes sense, to me anyway.
The movie portrays them almost as still attached to the mainstream society, and the only paradigm the writer has to use for that is quasi-religious aspect of it and buddhism. It has nothing to do with religion, more with seeing the modern society as fucked up mechanical shit it is.
oh yeah, totally. They kind of lived in their own world, they robbed banks instead of working

Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just one of my fav's
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: