View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Lies from open mouthed ManBearPig earns bitchslap from NWS Reply with quote

Washington Post calls out Gore for ‘patently false’ hurricane claim

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I move "An Inconvenient Truth" to the science fiction section of Barnes & Noble.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
This is why I move "An Inconvenient Truth" to the science fiction section of Barnes & Noble.

Science?! Put it in fantasy.

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea!
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gore, noting stronger storms fueled by climate change, told the paper “the hurricane scale used to be 1-5 and now they’re adding a 6.”

Reminds me of This is Spinal Tap where the guy is showing off his guitar amplifier with the knob that goes up to 11. :lol:

Al Gore. Just when real climate scientists thought it was safe to go back in the water.

Quote:
Goldman also says the link between hurricane intensity and climate change isn’t as crystal clear as Gore makes it seem.

“Though there is some evidence that climate change will influence hurricanes, the effect of climate change on hurricane intensity and hurricane frequency is complex and scientists are continuing to study the connection. Hurricanes in the North Atlantic region have been intensifying over the past 40 years but not elsewhere in the world,” she wrote.

Public figures like Gore need to be careful about how they talk about climate science, Goldman argues. “Politicians and others can be effective communicators of climate science and guide us toward policy action, but they risk creating confusion and eroding public confidence in science when they make misrepresentative statements,” she said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/al-gore-hurricane-comments-95827.html#ixzz2cmTVxe4y

Speaking of which, where's the bet-welcher?

@mcgruff, by "others" there, she means global warming religionists like you. Remember when I said people like you do more harm than good? Well now you're hearing it from the climate scientists themselves.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, good thread title pjp.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
bogamol wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea!
I was going to suggest the True Crime section, but Fantasy is better.

BoneKracker wrote:
Thanks, it took a while. Enough that I started to think about thread title length haiku (that just made it more difficult for the non-poet) :D

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

I first thought it was yours. :P
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much fuckwittery. It burns!
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
So much fuckwittery. It burns!

Well, stop looking in the mirror, bet-welcher.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points:

(1) You do know that Al Gore was misquoted don't you? Maybe you don't and maybe it's not entirely your fault. Now that he's rung the doorbell, pjp will have fled the scene. Don't expect him to acknowledge his error.

(2) We don't really give a f*ck about Al Gore. He's not a scientist. The only people who do are cretins in the denier camp looking for something to attack. Have at it. It's not like you have anything meaningful to say about, you know, real science.

Every snipe at Gore is like standing on a stage wearing no trousers, pleading to the crowd: "I'm not a fuckwit! I have valid, informed opinions about climate science but I choose to express them by mindlessly attacking Al Gore".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Al Gore says he didn't say something moronic, so that means he didn't say something moronic.

Misquote? What misquote? wrote:
Gore’s staff told Klein that Gore actually said: “The scientists are now adding Category 6 to the hurricane;

You troll so much you're incapable of stopping.

I'm not a troll, I just have no interest in discussing climate change with you.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm a troll, ban me. If I'm not a troll shut your ignorant fucking mouth and stop calling me one. (Didn't we do this before?)

Every time you open the aforementioned to sneer at climate science you turn out to be wrong. Pointing that out is not trolling.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're calling me a troll, so what gives, you can dish it but not take it? I can only guess your hostility is due to being proven wrong once again.

Oh, and when you respond like that, you actually think I'm going to engage you in conversation? Talking about ignorant.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
Two points:

(1) You do know that Al Gore was misquoted don't you? Maybe you don't and maybe it's not entirely your fault. Now that he's rung the doorbell, pjp will have fled the scene. Don't expect him to acknowledge his error.

Gore wasn't misquoted, you lying, honorless bet-welcher.

pantsonfire wrote:
(2) We don't really give a f*ck about Al Gore. He's not a scientist. The only people who do are cretins in the denier camp looking for something to attack. Have at it. It's not like you have anything meaningful to say about, you know, real science.

Al Gore is very important to the whole issue of global warming. How is he important? He keeps fucking it up. With his dickish personality, divisive political slant, and habitual lying and exaggeration, he and his global warming religionist ilk (such as you) almost single-handedly destroyed the credibility of the entire global effort to get the public to recognize and act on the issue of global warming.

The scientists have even begun to recognize him, and people like you, as a significant enough liability that they need to speak out about it.
Quote:
Politicians and others can be effective communicators of climate science and guide us toward policy action, but they risk creating confusion and eroding public confidence in science when they make misrepresentative statements
That's Al Gore she's talking about right there, and it's also you and your sophomoric "ZOMG teh 95% akkurate!" pseudo-scientific bullshit. You and Al Gore are one and the same, doing more harm than good; if you actually cared about climate change, you'd do the world a favor and tamp a bung in your pie hole.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
You're calling me a troll, so what gives, you can dish it but not take it? I can only guess your hostility is due to being proven wrong once again.

Oh, and when you respond like that, you actually think I'm going to engage you in conversation? Talking about ignorant.

No more than you deserve. You're not going to parrot blatant lies from Climate Depot and then call me a troll (!).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priceless. Climate Depot referenced the Washington Post.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Quote:
Politicians and others can be effective communicators of climate science and guide us toward policy action, but they risk creating confusion and eroding public confidence in science when they make misrepresentative statements
That's Al Gore she's talking about right there

She retracted her comments:

Quote:
while to our knowledge, there have been no official meetings or workshops to discuss a new Category 6, it is probably accurate to say scientists have independently discussed or considered it

And you wonder why I complain about fuckwittery?

Pjp rather dishonestly cut the quote. What they really said:

Quote:
Gore’s staff told Klein that Gore actually said: “The scientists are now adding Category 6 to the hurricane; … some are proposing we add Category 6 to the hurricane scale that used to be 1-5.”

In conversation Gore added another sentence to explain what he meant (and he is quite correct to say what he did). Ezra Klein apologised later.

Let's just assume you replied indignantly in a 500 word post on why you're not really a fuckwit and everyone else is wrong. It'll save us the bother of actually having to read it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original:
Quote:
Gore: The hurricane scale used to be 1-5 and now they’re adding a 6

pjp wrote:
So Al Gore says he didn't say something moronic, so that means he didn't say something moronic.

Misquote? What misquote? wrote:
Gore’s staff told Klein that Gore actually said: “The scientists are now adding Category 6 to the hurricane;

You must like being proven wrong over and over again. The part I left off does not change the outcome, which is why I left it off.

Are you that dishonest elsewhere in life?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you always so fuckwitted? How long do you think you can keep misquoting what was said?

Quote:
Gore’s staff told Klein that Gore actually said: “The scientists are now adding Category 6 to the hurricane; … some are proposing we add Category 6 to the hurricane scale that used to be 1-5.”

It is perfectly clear that Gore is not saying that scientists have changed the hurricane scale. He said (correctly) that some were talking about changing it.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitter, angry, dishonest, abusive, bet welcher, propaganda loud speaker... ridiculous.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a load of crap. People spent Friday scrambling and bending over backward to try an provide Gore with a graceful exit from his ignorant buffoonery. :lol:

There was a mad scramble of phone interviews and a self-referencing web of articles suddenly shat out to quickly manufacture history and make him appear 'close enough' to correct. It's fucking hilarious. :lol:

Take, for example, the article by "freelance writer" Jim Harper (who holds degrees in journalism and communication) on the opinion page of Scientific American's blog on Friday (the same day the Gore staff hazed Ezra Kline into making some kind of a statement at least vaguely resembling a correction and throwing the red herring of a quibble over "adding category six" vs "proposing category six" when in fact both are false). The "article" cites one clown at some state university saying (probably on the phone that day) 'maybe we need to add a six to the hurricane scale!' Magic! Abracadabra and we kind of have an illusion that Gore knew what he was talking about and wasn't just doing his "serial exaggerator" schtick. :roll:

In fact the idea of "category six" hurricanes has only been mentioned twice ever that I can tell, and that was way back in 2005 and 2006, right after a major hurricane, and during the heart of the Global Warming Fap-Frenzy, and it was by journalists, not scientists. These two eight-year-old articles include a suggestion by their journalist author that a category six should be added, and neither article actually cites a scientist suggesting it (although in the seond one, the guy says, "a couple of scientists have told me..." but never gives a name, a quote, a place or time, or any kind of reference:
http://www.livescience.com/426-wilma-rage-suggests-hurricane-categories-needed.html
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Science/story?id=1986862

So, basically, Gore is stuck in 2006, still spewing the same exaggerations and bullshit that was going around back then.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
She retracted her comments:
Quote:
while to our knowledge, there have been no official meetings or workshops to discuss a new Category 6, it is probably accurate to say scientists have independently discussed or considered it.

That's no "retraction". That's just courteously allowing Gore to make the gesture of wiping some egg off his face. It's also "probably accurate to say" that scientists have independently discussed or considered mass extermination of humanity as a solution to global warming, or recycling the dead as a means of feeding Africans and Indians, but that doesn't make it "proposing" it, and certainly doesn't make it "doing" it.

In short, this statement in no way supports Gore's babble or constitutes a "retraction" of her early statement. You're such a bet-welching little liar. It's like all you know how to do -- twist words, deceive, speak untruths. You need a mother very badly.

pantsonfire wrote:
Quote:

In conversation Gore added another sentence to explain what he meant (and he is quite correct to say what he did). Ezra Klein apologised later.

First of all, yeah, that's what Gore's staff, scrambling to cover his ass, claims he said. Klein didn't "apologize". He did, however, acknowledge what Gore's staff told him and admitted that it could be true that he didn't quote Gore accurately, given that he "forgot the tape-recorder he had at the interview" when he was writing the article (yeah, right). Klein is just doing the gracious thing; he didn't know Gore was making an ass of himself.

But it doesn't matter that he didn't really say "proposing" (which I believe he didn't), because Gore was talking bollocks either way you slice it, "adding" or "proposing" -- neither are right. Show me scientists who have proposed that we add Category Six (uh... in recent climate science history and prior to Gore's gaffe, that is).

And before you waste my time, don't show me crap about people saying we need a new scale or proposing revisions to the scale, or proposing it's replacement with a new multidimensional scale, etc., etc., Show me scientists proposing the addition of a Category Six to the scale, recent enough that it could support Gore blurting, 'squaaaaak... and now they're adding [proposing] a category six! Squaaaaak!!'
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like watching a bunch of elderly Victorian gentlemen masturbating furiously over a glimpse of stocking-covered ankle - and they only imagined they saw the ankle. As usual, you are projecting your own ignorance and bigotry onto entirely innocent events.

Gore was correct to say there is talk of adding a cat 6. Read some f*cking books.

Quote:
We may have to invent a category 6," says David Enfield, a senior scientist at the University of Miami and former physical oceanographer at the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). This new level wouldn't be an arbitrary relabeling. Global satellite data from the past 40 years indicate that the net destructive potential of hurricanes has increased, and the strongest hurricanes are becoming more common—especially in the Atlantic.

Since the source of the original quote has accepted his mistake and apologised (he's got a frickin' tape he doesn't have to rely on Gore's aides) what does that make you?

Fuckwits.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
*verbal diarrhea sounds*

:roll:

You have some self respect running down your leg.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: