[Solved] Getting Genkernel to load extra modules at boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixscripter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Getting Genkernel to load extra modules at boot Reply with quote

I'm posting this for the next person who does a Google search on this. I hope also that someone working on genkernel will read this and update the man page.

I have an exotic 586 PC (no, that is not a typo) that I'm getting Gentoo set up on. I managed to get the thing to boot, but I couldn't get it to load the exotic IDE driver it needed ("via82cxxx" module). Genkernel didn't see that driver as important to copy over, apparently, so it wasn't in the initramfs. As a workaround, I had genkernel put all of the modules in the initramfs, and then I could manually modprobe the driver in the emergency shell. Once I did that, everything was fine.

But I didn't want to do that every time. So I tried to figure out how to get that added to the correct module group in genkernel, which was MODULES_PATA. After spending almost 2 hours trying and failing to get a callback hook to dynamically override the variable, digging deeper and deeper into the scripts, I discovered an undocumented feature in the genkernel "main" script.

All I had to do was put this into the genkernel config file:

Code:
AMODULES_PATA="via82cxxx"

And that resulted in this nice message:

Code:
* Using genkernel.conf from /etc/genkernel.conf
* Sourcing arch-specific config.sh from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86/config.sh ..
* Sourcing arch-specific modules_load from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86/modules_load ..
* <config> Merged AMODULES_PATA:'via82cxxx' into MODULES_PATA

And then it was added to the initramfs.

Hope this helps someone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: