(Solved) Where are all the v4l drivers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindegur
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: (Solved) Where are all the v4l drivers? Reply with quote

The Hauppauge WinTV Nova T USB dvb-t receiver worked well in older kernels making use of the firmware linuxtv-dvb-firmware DVB_CARDS="usb-dib0700" and the driver from the kernel source dvb-usb-dib0700.

After some updates I got now kernel 3.8.13-gentoo and the receiver does not work anymore.

The reason for that is quite obvious the kernel driver dvb-usb-dib0700 is missing.

The problem that I have is that I do not find it anymore using make menuconfig. Looking at the kernel source there are still some files under /usr/src/linux/drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb as dib0700.h that give me hope that it is still there :roll: . So my first question:
How to select dvb-usb-dib0700 in new kernels as 3.8.13-gentoo :?:

In 3.8.13-gentoo there is CONFIG_DVB_TTUSB_BUDGET that seems promising, however some tests with it were not successful. I have no clue how to get what to do with the firmware from linuxtv-dvb-firmware. Some hints here :?:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices#DVB-T_USB_Devices says that my stick with 2040:7070 is a Hauppauge Nova-T-CE Stick and the driver should be in in kernel since 2.6.25 and the firmware to be used should be dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw. This is exactly what I successfully had in the past. But now what to do :?:

Last edited by lindegur on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:52 am; edited 3 times in total
lindegur
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progress I did. The driver is still supported by http://www.linuxtv.org downloading and installing it as shown in http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers makes the system happy. The kernel finds it and downloads the firmware and /dev/dvb/adapter0 appears.

Unfortunately I live in two locations and here I have a bad DVB-T signal. So I'm stuck getting a picture, I just see that w_scan finds the right frequencies.

I guess dvb-usb-dib0700 is no more in the kernel (I have hope that it comes back). There is something in the vdr-testing overlay mantis-v4l-dvb-hg but it does not look so promising. So next step probably means creating an ebuild.
lindegur
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok being back in the location where I get a dvb-t signal helps.
Everything works fine now.

Next step will be an ebuild and then putting solved to this post.
Schnulli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only chance is to downgrade the kernel <3.6.x and b t w , "T" is nearly abt to die
we´r running the good old 2.6.38 patched kernels and it works soooo nice ;)

regards
lindegur
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you schnulli,

It explains why it was running with an old kernel source.
However it works also well with the 3.8.13-gentoo kernel, after having configured, compiled and installed the http://www.linuxtv.org stuff. I'm not very enthusiastic about DVB-T, but I'm convinced it will be around in my county for the next decades.

With what I know now, I would have given this topic an other name as Where are all the v4l drivers?
If I
Code:
cd
to the v4l source and run
Code:
make menuconfig
I see so many drivers that are available, web cams, dvb-s ....

The solution is to install the drivers source from http://www.linuxtv.org. What is missing is a clean gentoo way of doing it.

A simple approach would be just have the ebuild fetching the source but do not configure, compile and install it.
A hint could show what to do. This would be the same way as the kernel source is handled. emerge does not configure, compile and install the kernel as well.
lindegur
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops :oops: :oops: :oops:
One of my computer crashed and now I'm installing on a new one the DVB-T device and I came again to the question:
How to select dvb-usb-dib0700 in new kernels as 3.12.21-gentoo-r1 :?:

The answer is easy:
Just select Remote Controller support and then CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIB0700 is there.

In the past I switched Remote Controller support intentionally off since I had a conflict with a LIRC device (the LIRC device plus my DVB receiver received and IR signals).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: