View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: systemd Reply with quote

It is amazing that new installations are still geared up to installing openrc, yet a news item which follows states that gentoo has now moved over to systemd.

I have just done a fresh installation (which I normally do with a stage3 from the "system rescue" disk) to a laptop, and had an almighty task in trying to get it up and running straight away in systemd. I ended up installing openrc and then converting to systemd.

I saw an article in last April's Linux Format magazine which describes how to install gentoo. I shudder to think at the mess newcomers to gentoo are likely to get into when they are told to use rc-update, but discover it is no more, and they must use systemctl. The handbooks I have seen still describe the now 'out of date' configuration.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any news stating gentoo has moved to systemd. From everything I have seen, that is NOT the case, the default (from what is being said on the forums) is still OpenRC. The only exception, is gnome is forcing people to use systemd now, and upower is now switching to systemd (though there is a branch on upower for non-systemd). Other than that, OpenRC still works perfectly fine since when I first started using Gentoo, though I also don't use Gnome or KDE (last I've seen KDE still supports OpenRC, but how long that lasts, I don't know).
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Systemd Reply with quote

I stand corrected.

I could have sworn I had read that gentoo was to switch over to systemd, and this was why I switched. This was some time ago, when I switched. Also, the gentoo wiki states:

"SystemD was developed for Linux to replace the init system inherited from UNIX System V and Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) operating systems."

Note the "replace"

However, I note that the gentoo wiki also suggests that both systems are to be available. Has there been a change of policy?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ever seen any policy change for Gentoo since I've started using it reguarding to having choices available. Gentoo's always been about having the choice, so we're not stuck with one way or another. (Some software may force you one way, but there is other software that isn't that restricted) Both systems are available, in 2 ways (that I can see at least); you can choose you use systemd or openrc for your init system. Secondly, systemd and openrc can both be installed together (systemd contains udev and some other packages inside of it, while openrc uses the usual modular setup). Personaly I've always liked Openrc since the beginning; and I dislike the idea of everything being integrated into one package. (I am not in about way to start one of those huge discussions, just stating my opinion only).
dshljdfsahkl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: It's a bug in the instructions on http://wiki.gentoo.org/ Reply with quote

The instructions on http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd tell us to rebuild sys-apps/dbus -system, this is what produces the reported problems (well, some of them.)

*Some*, but not all, of the following instructions might cause a rebuild of sys-apps/dbus; an emerge --newuse does it, however that isn't stated as a requirement.

It's a bug in the wiki - in fact both the pages I've read on the wiki copy'n'paste the same bug:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd/Installing_Gnome3_from_scratch

It's a bug because a stage3 Gentoo install already has dbus -systemd, so rebuilding it that way is pointless.

I guess Gentoo systemd isn't ready for prime time. My belief is that it never will be until the official Gentoo stage3's are offered in a systemd variant.

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>
(Forget the stupid user name, I will; Gentoo asked me to contact a system admin to use jbowler@acm.org!)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: