PPPOE and FTTC connections in the UK...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatmodel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: PPPOE and FTTC connections in the UK... Reply with quote

In the UK, areas covered by ADSL are now having an enhanced connection made available where the ISP's equipment is in the street cabinet, rather than at the exchange, and uses VDSL (very high bitrate DSL) to connect to the subscriber. This requires a VDSL modem at the premises, and if you're lucky enough to use Linux you can use a PPP daemon to furnish the required PPPoE connection that completes the Internet connection.

The problem that I'm having is getting the PPP daemon to reconnect should the connection be physically interrupted for some reason. At present, the user has to reboot the Linux machine that runs the PPP daemon to re-establish the connection. Here's my /etc/conf.d/net file...

Code:
config_lan0="192.168.20.62/26"  ; # Untagged
vlans_lan0="2 3 4" ; # These are the VLAN tag numbers
config_lan0_2="192.168.20.126/26"       ; # VLAN=2
config_lan0_3="192.168.20.190/26"      ; # VLAN=3
config_lan0_4="192.168.20.254/26"      ; # VLAN=4
config_inet="null"
link_ppp0="inet"
plugins_ppp0="pppoe"
pppd_ppp0="updetach persist maxfail 0 logfile /var/log/pppd.log"
username_ppp0='xxxxxxxx@zen'
password_ppp0='xxxxxxxxxxx'
config_ppp0="82.69.205.204/29 82.69.205.205/29"
routes_ppp0="default via 82.69.205.206"

IP addresses, passwords and whatnot have been changed for obvious security reasons, without losing the essential context. Can anyone tell me what options I might try adding, or changing to make the PPP daemon to keep on trying to [re-]connect indefinitely?

Additionally, here's the command part of a "ps aux" command...
Code:
/usr/sbin/pppd plugin rp-pppoe.so unit 0 user xxxxxxxx@zen remotename ppp0 linkname ppp0 plugin passwordfd.so updetach persist maxfail 0 logfile /var/log/pppd.log passwordfd 0 defaultmetric 4007 connect true inet

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: