View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is weird: Goverment Accountability Office: ECONOMIC SANCTIONS - Agencies Face Competing Priorities in Enforcing the U.S. Embargo on Cuba

Quote:
Reflecting the administration’s embargo-tightening policy, DHS’s Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspects all exports to Cuba at Port Everglades and, since 2004, has increased intensive, “secondary” inspections of passengers arriving from Cuba at the Miami airport; in 2007, CBP
conducted these inspections for 20 percent of arrivals from Cuba versus an average of 3 per cent of other international arrivals. CBP data and interviews with agency officials suggest that the secondary inspections of Cuba arrivals at the airport may strain CBP’s ability to carry out its mission of keeping terrorists, criminals, and other inadmissible aliens from entering the country. Moreover, recent GAO reports have found weaknesses in CBP’s inspections capacity at key U.S. ports of entry nationwide. After 2001, OFAC opened more investigations and imposed more penalties for embargo violations, such
as buying Cuban cigars, than for violations of other sanctions, such as those on Iran.
In contrast, BIS, DHS’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and Justice have primarily investigated, penalized, or prosecuted export violations and crimes that present a greater threat to homeland and national security or public safety.

These reports emphasize that effective use of secondary inspection resources is critical to CBP’s accomplishing its priority antiterrorism mission.

CBP’s top priority since the terrorist attacks of September 2001 is keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country.

US citizens that smokes Cuba cigars are dangerous terrorists. :lol:

Quote:
During a 6-month period from October 2006 to March 2007, CBP’s
inspections of passengers and baggage arriving from Cuba at the Miami airport resulted in about 1,500 seizures, mostly small amounts of tobacco, alcohol, and pharmaceutical products. In contrast, CBP made 465 seizures from passengers arriving on other flights at the Miami airport over the same 6-month period, including 111 seizures of drugs totaling 211 kilograms and 115 seizures of money totaling $2.4 million

Processing these seizures requires an average of about 14 staff hours per day and often requires overtime. CBP data show that seizures of contraband from Cuba arrivals average about 11 per day and lead to about 5 arrests monthly. CBP staff reported that processing each seizure takes from 45 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the type of violation.

Although the Cuba embargo is one of more than 20 sanctions programs
OFAC administers, 13 embargo-related cases comprised 61 percent of OFAC’s investigatory caseload from 2000 through 2006

Did you say it is an obsession? Yes I did! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
OFAC has conducted more investigations and imposed more penalties for violations of the Cuba embargo than for all of the other 20-plus sanctions programs the agency implements.

Our analysis of OFAC data shows that from 2000 through 2006, the agency collected fines totaling a bout $8.1 million for 8,170 violations of the Cuba embargo—an average of $992 per violation. Most of these violations were relatively minor, such as purchasing Cuban cigars on the Internet.

Quote:
Lack of foreign support and cooperation.
The unilateral nature of the embargo and a lack of multilateral cooperation hamper U.S. agencies’ diplomatic and enforcement efforts, according to agency officials.

Divided U.S. public opinion.
Agency officials said that divided public opinion about the embargo has contributed to widespread, small-scale violations of restrictions on family travel and remittances and to an environment in which some individuals
can profit from illegal activities, such as selling fraudulent religious travel licenses. In addition, human rights, religious, and other groups have criticized the increased restrictions on family travel and remittances; and several of these groups have engaged in acts of civil disobedience, such as traveling to Cuba without a license.

Well, at the time of the war against terror, the US government prefer use a lot of its resource against its own citizens, which compromise its own security. :lol:
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me that I should share a bottle of Cuban rum with visitors from the USA. Makes a nice gift for their flight home.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
Reminds me that I should share a bottle of Cuban rum with visitors from the USA. Makes a nice gift for their flight home.
not forgetting the cigars. Poor Americans, no decent cigars :(

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
You pretend to be from Switzerland, but we all know you're from Cuba, and we've known it all along, because you're always talking about how great things are in Cuba. Why don't you just go ahead and admit it. You'll find the honesty refreshing.

Ohh...I like conspiracy theoru. Well, some conclutions might give you a window of oportunity, but that is...like mcgrufff. I think you are him.

I just wanted to see if he'd admit to it. He didn't, but as a reward we found out that he's had four wives. :lol:

He has to have been in Lake Placid olympics..special olympics
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say it is not true the blockade is extraterritorial: Face to Face with the Blockade from US Women % Cuba Collaboration

Quote:
• Interview with 13-year-old Raysel Rojas, recipient of an international award on the environment. He was not able to receive his prize.

By ELSON CONCEPCION

The 13-year-old Cuban boy Raysel Sosa Rojas won a United Nations award but could never receive its prize because it had US components.

Raysel talks about the painting that won him the prize.
Surrounded by his grandmother —his mother was at work— other relatives and friends, Raysel answered questions from this Granma reporter on the balcony of his apartment in the Havana district of San Agustin.

Raysel spoke about the love he feels for painting, the international award he won, and the camera he never received because it had US components, forbidden under the US government’s blockade on Cuba. While, in his presence, other prize-winning children from Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America received their cameras. He did not.

How did you hear that you had won the prize?
One day I was sleeping there (he points to his bedroom) and early in the morning the phone rang. My mother was already leaving for work, and as we never get calls that early she was surprised. It was my teacher who was calling to tell us the news, that I had received the award for Latin America and the Caribbean, from the International Children’s Contest sponsored by the United Nations Environment Program.

Where was the awarding ceremony?
In Algeria. There were children from Yugoslavia, Thailand, and Ecuador. There was also another from Africa, one from Japan and I.

And the award?
It was a Nikon camera. It was not given to me. I was told that since I am Cuban I could not receive it.

How did you feel when faced with such discrimination?
I was very sad when I saw that everybody else received their prize and I didn’t.

What’s your opinion about this measure?
The blockade causes all sorts of problems. Even children are affected. I could never imagine that such measure could be used against young people who paint to protect the environment. I couldn’t believe it could go that far.

What did your family have to say about the prize you never got?
My family was sad and still is because that is not supposed to happen to children. I hope that one day the blockade disappears and that the US stops murdering families around the world. I have seen how the US Army attacks and destroys houses where children live. How they demolish houses, how they kill pregnant women.

As a Cuban, do you feel you are lacking anything?
No, I have everything here. In the polyclinics I receive good healthcare services and free of charge. The same goes for the hospitals. That doesn’t happen in many other countries, where an operation can cost a fortune. [RayselHe suffers from haemophilia, a difficulty with blood coagulation].

And what is the treatment you receive for your illness?
I have received all the vaccinations free of charge. Last year, I had to be hospitalized in the intensive care unit of the Juan Manuel Fajardo Pediatric hospital. I received everything I needed, all free. The same applies to school. To go to school here does not cost a cent, however, they impose a blockade on us.

Where did your desire to paint come from?
Our art teacher, Jorge, started a community workshop. I saw that lots of children were attending. I talked to him, he gave me several tests, and then I became involved with the workshop that was called “Coloring my Neighborhood.”

How did you create the painting that won you the award?
Thinking. I put my imagination on drawing paper. My painting shows that before, everything was more beautiful. It talks about the protection of
nature. When there was no pollution, the environment was better protected. Trees were not destroyed and animals were not killed.

What do you want to study?
I want to be a painter. When I complete my studies at the Olof Palme High School, I want to enroll at the San Alejandro painting and sculpture school

(Sent to the Collaboration October 2006 by our friend Ines Fors, (former) First
Secretary, Cuba Interests Section, Washington, DC, as an example of how the US Embargo towards Cuba works.)

patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
Some say it is not true the blockade is extraterritorial: Face to Face with the Blockade from US Women % Cuba Collaboration

Quote:
• Interview with 13-year-old Raysel Rojas, recipient of an international award on the environment. He was not able to receive his prize.

By ELSON CONCEPCION

The 13-year-old Cuban boy Raysel Sosa Rojas won a United Nations award but could never receive its prize because it had US components.

Raysel talks about the painting that won him the prize.
Surrounded by his grandmother —his mother was at work— other relatives and friends, Raysel answered questions from this Grandma reporter on the balcony of his apartment in the Havana district of San Agustin.

Raysel spoke about the love he feels for painting, the international award he won, and the camera he never received because it had US components, forbidden under the US government’s blockade on Cuba. While, in his presence, other prize-winning children from Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America received their cameras. He did not.

How did you hear that you had won the prize?
One day I was sleeping there (he points to his bedroom) and early in the morning the phone rang. My mother was already leaving for work, and as we never get calls that early she was surprised. It was my teacher who was calling to tell us the news, that I had received the award for Latin America and the Caribbean, from the International Children’s Contest sponsored by the United Nations Environment Program.

Where was the awarding ceremony?
In Algeria. There were children from Yugoslavia, Thailand, and Ecuador. There was also another from Africa, one from Japan and I.

And the award?
It was a Nikon camera. It was not given to me. I was told that since I am Cuban I could not receive it.

How did you feel when faced with such discrimination?
I was very sad when I saw that everybody else received their prize and I didn’t.

What’s your opinion about this measure?
The blockade causes all sorts of problems. Even children are affected. I could never imagine that such measure could be used against young people who paint to protect the environment. I couldn’t believe it could go that far.

What did your family have to say about the prize you never got?
My family was sad and still is because that is not supposed to happen to children. I hope that one day the blockade disappears and that the US stops murdering families around the world. I have seen how the US Army attacks and destroys houses where children live. How they demolish houses, how they kill pregnant women.

As a Cuban, do you feel you are lacking anything?
No, I have everything here. In the polyclinics I receive good healthcare services and free of charge. The same goes for the hospitals. That doesn’t happen in many other countries, where an operation can cost a fortune. [RayselHe suffers from haemophilia, a difficulty with blood coagulation].

And what is the treatment you receive for your illness?
I have received all the vaccinations free of charge. Last year, I had to be hospitalized in the intensive care unit of the Juan Manuel Fajardo Pediatric hospital. I received everything I needed, all free. The same applies to school. To go to school here does not cost a cent, however, they impose a blockade on us.

Where did your desire to paint come from?
Our art teacher, Jorge, started a community workshop. I saw that lots of children were attending. I talked to him, he gave me several tests, and then I became involved with the workshop that was called “Coloring my Neighborhood.”

How did you create the painting that won you the award?
Thinking. I put my imagination on drawing paper. My painting shows that before, everything was more beautiful. It talks about the protection of
nature. When there was no pollution, the environment was better protected. Trees were not destroyed and animals were not killed.

What do you want to study?
I want to be a painter. When I complete my studies at the Olof Palme High School, I want to enroll at the San Alejandro painting and sculpture school

(Sent to the Collaboration October 2006 by our friend Ines Fors, (former) First
Secretary, Cuba Interests Section, Washington, DC, as an example of how the US Embargo towards Cuba works.)

I see this as an individual effort, and as such, no country can take his pride away from what he/she accomplished.
What ever is said after that, is personal. Not actual facts.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main fact of that story is that a 13 years old child did not received a price from an organization of the United Nation because of the illegal US blockade.

So you can definitely not say this is just a personal affair. The consequences of the illegal US blockade is the main problem that every single Cuban have to face in its life. And look at the result, as explained in the UN resolution, it harm the people, severely limit the Cuban economy, and the government is always the one the Cuban people want to have. So, this is a total failure that only cause problems to the Cuban people..
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
The main fact of that story is that a 13 years old child did not received a price from an organization of the United Nation because of the illegal US blockade.

So you can definitely not say this is just a personal affair. The consequences of the illegal US blockade is the main problem that every single Cuban have to face in its life. And look at the result, as explained in the UN resolution, it harm the people, severely limit the Cuban economy, and the government is always the one the Cuban people want to have. So, this is a total failure that only cause problems to the Cuban people..

The consequences of the illegal US blockade is the main problem that every single Cuban have to face in its life
I can agree on that. But making it a teardrop story doesn't make me think less of america or Cuba. I think Cuba actually have something. They have survived so long, isolated from us...
[edit] The rest of what you said I feel is a big long Goebels propaganda speach. Sorry, but that is how I 'feel' about your saying in this issue. I have been wrong before, so I probably am.

Last edited by patrix_neo on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
The consequences of the illegal US blockade is the main problem that every single Cuban have to face in its life
I can agree on that.
Hogwash. How many other countries ignore the "illegal" blockade?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
I can agree on that.

I think it is just the one? [my f-up]
Ignore? Well, there is anyone smoking a cuban cigarr?
[edit] I just had to...country? Who the f-sake said anything about countries? Did I? Where?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Muso wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Cuba's one saving grace is the excellent healthcare system that could teach the US' system a few things.

That's pure propaganda. Their healthcare system is a total nightmare.

Viddie well brother, viddie well

You don't think cokehabit is actually going to watch that, do you? That's like... five whole minutes of sustained cognitive dissonance!

One would actually have an open mind to to do that.
fail

You're telling us you watched it? The whole thing?

Be honest, now. No lying. On your grandmothers' worm-ridden corpses, did you or did you not watch the whole thing?
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Muso wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Cuba's one saving grace is the excellent healthcare system that could teach the US' system a few things.

You don't think cokehabit is actually going to watch that, do you? That's like... five whole minutes of sustained cognitive dissonance!

fail

Be honest, now. No lying. On your grandmothers' worm-ridden corpses, did you or did you not watch the whole thing?
the whole thing, plus the one he did the week after

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not "blockade" of Cuba. It's an embargo (a refusal to trade with) and it's perfectly without our rights to do it.

Note that we do send humanitarian aid to Cuba, and we have a state filled with Cuban refugees, which we rescue from the shark-infested waters they risk their lives desperately trying to paddle across in bathtubs, on air mattresses, etc. because Cuba is such a great country filled with brotherly love and social justice.

It's also perfectly within the rights of the UN General Assembly to vote to ask us to lift the embargo, and perfectly within the rights of the U.S. to ignore it. No nation is obligated to trade with anybody they don't want to. Cuba has plenty of options for trading partners. Oh, and did I mention, it's not a "blockade", it's an embargo, which is something completely different.

They are one of only a couple of countries left still living in the Dark Ages of totalitarian communism, and we're not going to fund the development of a North Korea a hundred miles off our shores.

If they want us to trade with them, all they have to is start treating their people like human beings and compensate us for the property and money they stole. Meanwhile, idiots need to understand that it's not a "blockade". We could blockade them if we wanted, but we haven't. We have merely opted not to trade with them, which is entirely our right.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Muso wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

fail

the whole thing, plus the one he did the week after

Honestly? I'm impressed. :o

Kudos to you.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
pjp wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
I can agree on that.

I think it is just the one? [my f-up]
Ignore? Well, there is anyone smoking a cuban cigarr?
[edit] I just had to...country? Who the f-sake said anything about countries? Did I? Where?
Sorry, can't parse that. To clarify, I don't think many countries besides the US have a Cuban embargo, therefor Cuba isn't prevented from engaging in commerce, so that isn't there problem.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many propaganda victims, so little time... :sigh:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, we haven't reached Peak Oil, so that is pretty amusing.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

The UN told cokehabit that it happened already in Cuba.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

Well, so far it's a failed theory. Peak Oil might not even exist.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
pjp wrote:

That's just funny without even thinking much about it. Maybe it happened because 20 people have inefficient American cars from the 70s and prior.

Muso wrote:
Well, so far it's a failed theory. Peak Oil might not even exist.
I think it seems more than plausible, if for no other reason than the increased cost of extraction. And for National Security reasons alone, we should be getting off foreign oil and looking for alternatives. It's long past time we give OPEC the the boot. We should have done it after Carter.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:

I can agree on that. But making it a teardrop story doesn't make me think less of america or Cuba. I think Cuba actually have something. They have survived so long, isolated from us...
[edit] The rest of what you said I feel is a big long Goebels propaganda speach. Sorry, but that is how I 'feel' about your saying in this issue. I have been wrong before, so I probably am.

I Sverige, du kan lära dig från Svensk-Kubanska Föreningen. It is the biggest political association in Sweden after the political parties. I was member when I was living in Sweden. They know a lot about Cuba and its relations with the rest of the world, and they have a lot of very informative material.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
pjp wrote:

That's just funny without even thinking much about it. Maybe it happened because 20 people have inefficient American cars from the 70s and prior.

As they cannot buy spare parts, most of the old US cars in Cuba have modern 4 cylinders diesel motors made in Europa.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
There is not "blockade" of Cuba. It's an embargo (a refusal to trade with) and it's perfectly without our rights to do it.

The title of the UN resolution is ‘Archaic, Punitive’ Embargo Must be Consigned to History Books, Say Speakers, as General Assembly, for Twenty-First Year, Demands End to Cuba Blockade

The UN use both terms. And I am living in a free country where I can use the term I want and where it is no NSA to spy on me.

Quote:
Note that we do send humanitarian aid to Cuba, and we have a state filled with Cuban refugees, which we rescue from the shark-infested waters they risk their lives desperately trying to paddle across in bathtubs, on air mattresses, etc. because Cuba is such a great country filled with brotherly love and social justice

I know the US, not you personally, sell food to Cuba. I also know this is not you personally, even if your only argumentation is jokes, but your government which dream about adding a star to its flag. But that's not going to append. One of the base of the UN chart is the countries are free to decide themselves which political system they want, and the US with that blockade from another time are just making a very hard living for all the Cuban people, that for the only political result to weld the Cuban people against the US politic and to ridicule themselves to the whole world. OK, Israel and Palau are with you. That's not much!

Quote:
It's also perfectly within the rights of the UN General Assembly to vote to ask us to lift the embargo, and perfectly within the rights of the U.S. to ignore it. No nation is obligated to trade with anybody they don't want to. Cuba has plenty of options for trading partners.

You are wrong on this. According to the UN chart, no country can take unilateral measure like an embargo against another free country. So, the USA is just violating the UN chart.

Also, the blockade is extraterritorial, and this is for that it is a blockade and not an embargo. Exactly like an US citizen that smoke a Cuban cigar can be fined or put in jail, a company that deal with Cuba can be fined and prevented from doing business in the USA. Why do you think this 13 old child didn't received its price? Only because Nikon was afraid for its business into the US. And the example are many. The UBS and the Credit Suisse was fined because they made exchange operations with Cuba. From that, the only way I have to send money in Cuba from Switzerland is via the post. And me and my family in Cuba are loosing 2 times with the change, because the post cannot send CUC or CHF., but must use an intermediary currency.

It is plenty of other examples. Netherland Caribbean Bank (NCB), a filial of ING, is blacklisted by the US because of its business with Cuba. It cannot make any business with either companies and citizens from the US (Reuters, 3 October 2006). Santander & Trust, filial of the Spanish group Santander Central Hispano was fined for doing transfers of funds with Cuba.

In 2004, applying the Helms-Burton legislation, a few leaders of the Canadian Sherrit mining company, and their families, was forbidden to enter the US. As a result, Sherrit stopped its mining activities in Cuba.

In 2004, Iberia was fined 55'000 $ because it was transporting Cuban tobacco from the Canaries Islands to Costa Rica with a stop in Miami. The tobacco never left the aircraft hold. (Financial Times, 2 September 2004)

From 30 September 2004, a Japanese car constructor that want to commercialize goods into the US must prove its goods doesn't contains any Cuban Nickel at all. A French pastry that want to commercialize goods into the US must prove its goods doesn't contains any Cuban sugar or cacao.

An US citizen in holiday in another country that smoke a Cuban cigar a drink Cuban rum can be fined up to 1'000'000 $ or 10 years in jail. A Cuban guy or woman living in France or Sweden can theoretically not est a Mc Donald's burger. Cuban Cigar Update
Quote:
The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States.

The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of
the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

In 2006, an US held hotel in Mexico expelled 16 Cuban officials which was discussing with a group of US businessmen, that in violation of the Mexican law. Same thing in Oslo in 2007. In 2007 again, the Austrian bank Bawag become the property of the US Cerberus found. Almost 100 accounts from Cuban citizens living in Austria was closed on the only ground of their nationality. Ursula Plassnik, the Foreign Affairs minister said "Austria is not the 51st Federal State of the USA" and forced the bank to apply the Austrian and European laws.

In 2007, the subsidaries of the Barclay Bank in London closed the account of 2 Cuban companies, Havana International Bank and Cubanacán. In 2007, the Spanish company Hola Airlines, which had a contract with the Cuban government to transport patients with eye diseases in the framework of Operation Miracle, should stop this partnership, because Boeing, to make the maintenance of aircrafts, demanded the end of this collaboration. (Adam Liptak, New York Times, 4 March 2008)

In 2008, 80% of the web sites of Steve Marshall, an English living in Spain stopped to work, Among other destinations, he was selling trips to Cuba and the server for these websites was in the US.

In 2009, the Australia and New Zealand Bank Group Ltd was fined 5'750'000$ for mking financial transactions in $ with Cuba, Crédit Suisse was fined 536'000'000$ for the same ground. In 2010, the Swedish Innospec Inc. was fined 2'200'000$ for selling an oil additive to Cuba. A lot of other companies was also sanctioned. Continuación del acoso y las sanciones contra individuos y compañías norteamericanas y de terceros países

Quote:
They are one of only a couple of countries left still living in the Dark Ages of totalitarian communism, and we're not going to fund the development of a North Korea a hundred miles off our shores.

The problem is the US government. The peoples of both the US and Cuba, as well than in any other country, just want to live in peace. What are yo afraid of? If Captalism is a good that you believe, why, instead of following a policy that use force and doesn't work, you don't want to use the charm of Capitalism?

This is not to you, or to anyone else, to decide for the Cuban people. And they vote. Not only they vote, but before the votes, it is the people itself that choose the candidates. So, why not just use the charm of capitalism? It is so good.

Are you afraid a small and poor socialist country can do better than the US? Or are you like your government, obsessed to add one more star to your flag?
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This append in Cuba: red solar - Cuba solar

This too: Cuba Metal - El portal del Metal y el Rock en Cuba
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
pjp wrote:

As they cannot buy spare parts, most of the old US cars in Cuba have modern 4 cylinders diesel motors made in Europa.

Why don't they just replace the cars like everybody else does?

Oh, that's right. They can't afford to, because their entire economy is based on a lie.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: