Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
uefi laptop - efibootmgr questions.[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: uefi laptop - efibootmgr questions.[SOLVED] Reply with quote

First, I did locate this helpful page, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8

However, I do have a few questions. 1) does the efibootmgr need to be installed via windows or can it be maintained from Gentoo? I already did install it via windows, but if possible it would be nice have everything accessible on the OS I actually use.

Second, why isn't this in the handbook? This should be at least as common as using grub2. Is it simply a lack of anyone writing it?

EDIT: It appears that this issue is solved by simply fooling the computer into booting from rEFInd by copying into the place of what it was expecting. Not exactly what I would call an ideal solution.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.

Last edited by The Doctor on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my hybrid bios/uefi efibootmgr did not work..
the wiki article was the end product of trying many ways to get a nice dual boot and finding this one in the last place I looked.
uefi bible to me is http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html The author is also known as srs5694 here in the forum.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I look into that. Unfortunately, I need to get some sleep and sit through an exam tomorrow so I probably won't get back to this too soon.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, efibootmgr is a Linux-only program, so the claim that you installed it in Windows is suspect. My hunch is that you meant you did something else in Windows, like install a boot manager (rEFInd, GRUB, etc.) and register it via the Windows "bcdedit" command.

Broadly speaking, you should be able to manage your EFI boot loaders in Linux via efibootmgr. In practice, there are a number of problems with this, caused by EFI bugs, efibootmgr bugs and kernel incompatibilities, etc. These problems will shake out with time, but at the moment it's still somewhat hit-or-miss, depending on your computer, your kernel version, your efibootmgr version, etc.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
with my hybrid bios/uefi efibootmgr did not work..
You cannot do anything with efibootmgr if booted via mbr bios grub installation. "efibootmgr" is a misnomer. It is a just a little manipulation utility to handle efi loader entries, which each one of that can start up the real efi-boot-manager - like : refind, grub2-efi or gummiboot.

This typical output of efibootmgr you only get if you started a linux kernel in efi mode:
Code:
 > efibootmgr --verbose
BootCurrent: 0003
BootOrder: 0003,0000,0001,0002
Boot0000* grub   HD(1,28,64000,b1d47fcc-75b2-4272-b0ed-850d5f1f364f)File(\EFI\grub2\grubx64.efi)
Boot0001* Refind HD(1,28,64000,b1d47fcc-75b2-4272-b0ed-850d5f1f364f)File(\EFI\refind\refind.efi)
Boot0002* Refit  HD(1,28,64000,b1d47fcc-75b2-4272-b0ed-850d5f1f364f)File(\EFI\refit\refit.efi)
Boot0003* Gummi  HD(1,28,64000,b1d47fcc-75b2-4272-b0ed-850d5f1f364f)File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)

> efibootmgr --bootorder 0001,0003,0000,0002
# this would reorder to load refind at first!
You can rename entries, like gummiboot has a "Gummi" entry with an also renamed executable.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srs5694 wrote:
AFAIK, efibootmgr is a Linux-only program, so the claim that you installed it in Windows is suspect. My hunch is that you meant you did something else in Windows, like install a boot manager (rEFInd, GRUB, etc.) and register it via the Windows "bcdedit" command.

Indeed. I misunderstood the distinction.

Quote:
Broadly speaking, you should be able to manage your EFI boot loaders in Linux via efibootmgr. In practice, there are a number of problems with this, caused by EFI bugs, efibootmgr bugs and kernel incompatibilities, etc. These problems will shake out with time, but at the moment it's still somewhat hit-or-miss, depending on your computer, your kernel version, your efibootmgr version, etc.

At this point, it seems more miss. I have rEFInd installed, but it refuses to use it.

EDIT: At this point, I still have a few days to compile before this starts clashing with anything. Since it doesn't seem to respect my changing things, its to to move things, I guess.

DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but it refuses to use it.
Could you define the "it " 's?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that would be the bios. rEFIned was present, and it should have been added two different ways (windows and linux) however it wasn't present at all. http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#naming Using this I was able to get around that problem.

Now I just have the usual problem of "what did I do wrong with my kernel" so I'm marking this as solved.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: