portage @preserved-rebuild vs revdep-rebuild and libpng
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Small_Penguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: portage @preserved-rebuild vs revdep-rebuild and libpng Reply with quote

Today, a package forced me to unmask and emerge libpng-0.6.3; I decided to mask it some time ago because it would force a rebuild of many many packages. Now, after the new package has been installed and some others have been rebuild, portage claimed a lot more packages would need to be rebuild using @preserved-rebuild. However, I ran revdep-rebuild -ivp and it reported nothing broken. That seems to be true, because I could open a png file in libreoffice with no problem.

So, is that a portage bug (2.2.1)? Had I trusted it, it would have cost me a lot of time rebuilding packages...
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a bug, nor should you ignore it.

The reason revdep-rebuild isn't picking anything up is because the new feature of portage is that it doesn't remove the libs. It keeps two versions of the libs and only removes the old ones after you run @preserved-rebuild. Literally, it preserves your old libraries until they are no longer needed. This means that running revdep-rebuild can become a more infrequent part of your update routine as only a few programs actually are broken during updates.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
mvaterlaus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are only notified, that some libraries will not be removed from the system, because some other package still depends on it. If this dependencies do not exist any more (due to uninstall or an update of that package using the newer version of the lib), the preserved lib will be removed [1]. So using `emerge @preserved-rebuild` will force all packages to use the preserved libs instead of the newly installed.

[1]http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Preserve-libs

[edit]to slow[/edit]
Small_Penguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've looked at the files the new libpng packages installed, and while libpng-1.5.15 is not reported to be installed, libpng-1.6.3-r1 does include a copy of the old 1.5.15 library. Thanks for the explanation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: