Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Emerge suddenly developed a libpng-1.6.3 fetish?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virduun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Emerge suddenly developed a libpng-1.6.3 fetish? Reply with quote

The other day I tried to do a world update and emerge seems to demand that I unmask libpng 1.6.3-r1 (as well as 1.5.17) for no apparent reason. All of the packages which would be reinstalled due to the new libpng version are not updates, and I know they install just fine with 1.5.13-r1, because I did just that a couple weeks ago when I downgraded to it from 1.6.3-r1 and it automatically rebuilt all of them without incident.

Now, the reason I'm using 1.5.13-r1..

A while ago I noticed Wine was having trouble with applications that would run just fine previously. The apparent issue (and I don't know why it would be anything else, since reverting libpng fixed it) was that Wine was being compiled with libpng 1.6.3, but when running 32-bit applications it would use the version of libpng which is included in the emul-linux-x86-* package set, which is only 1.5.13. When attempting to run such an application, Wine would notice this version discrepancy and promptly shit itself.

As for why emul-linux-x86-* is still using an old libpng version, I couldn't begin to guess. The issue I was having with Wine had persisted for quite a while, so it evidently isn't a matter of 1.6.3 being super-recent, and while I could theoretically just wait for emul-linux-x86-* to get updated, I have a feeling that libpng 1.7 would be out by then, and I would just have the same problem, just with bigger numbers.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way to get emerge to accept that I really don't want libpng 1.6.3?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the emerge output. It should tell what's blocking.

Likely you have a single package that requires a specific version of libpng. If you could disable that package or prevent that package from upgrading, then you could get rid of this block.
virduun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it doesn't seem to want libpng 1.6.3 anymore after I masked app-text/ghostscript-gpl-9.09 and net-print/cups-filters-1.0.36-r2 (not sure why I have cups-anything, but whatever). For some reason I just wasn't mentally parsing the lines that mentioned the packages that were being picky. I haven't actually done the update yet, but the emerge -p no longer gives those errors. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: