installing kdebase-startkde infinite hang at urw-fonts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: installing kdebase-startkde infinite hang at urw-fonts Reply with quote

So, there really is nothing to show for this, but I just installed compiz-fusion with KDE use flags. Well, that was kinda inherent since I chose the KDEDESKTOP profile. Anyway, when i

Code:

emerge kdebase-startkde

the first package in the queue is
Code:

media-fonts/urw-fonts

That, however, just hangs...forever. Not sure what this issue is, need some assistance. TIA
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems that cups is pulling it in--so I USE="-cups"

That seemed to do it.
landdie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem and 'USE="-cups"' works because cups is what pulls in 'media-fonts/urw-fonts' in my case but the real problem is the urw-fonts package which is an rpm. Emerge bails with
Quote:
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking urw-fonts-2.4-9.fc13.src.rpm to /home/portage_tmp/portage/media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9/work
rpm2tar: /home/portage_tmp/portage/media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9/distdir/urw-fonts-2.4-9.fc13.src.rpm: failed to extract cpio via gzip (not actually an RPM?)
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
* ERROR: media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9::gentoo failed (unpack phase):

The thing seems to be that 'rpm2tar' fails to unpack 'urw-fonts'. However when I
Quote:
optiplex / # ls /home/portage_tmp/portage/media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9/
distdir homedir temp work
optiplex / #
I see it has in fact unpacked but not installed. So whilst USE="-cups" is a work around it is not a solution and I would far rather have a solution as 'cups' when all is said and done is quite usefull! :)

I see on the forums that this problem has popped up in the past but I have not found a fix for it! Has anyone else?

Many thanks for any info! :)

Last edited by landdie on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
landdie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on closer inspection,I realised 'urw-fonts' was not unpacked, I'm getting used to this Gentoo stuff bit by bit :)

Anyway whilst having another look at the message from emerge
Quote:
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking urw-fonts-2.4-9.fc13.src.rpm to /home/portage_tmp/portage/media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9/work
rpm2tar: /home/portage_tmp/portage/media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9/distdir/urw-fonts-2.4-9.fc13.src.rpm: failed to extract cpio via gzip (not actually an RPM?)
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
* ERROR: media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9::gentoo failed (unpack phase):

I noticed 'failed to extract cpio via gzip' not being an expert this line meant nothing to me until I decided to try and emerge 'urw-fonts-2.4-9.fc13.src.rpm' myself which I had/have no clue how to do but I ran into this page http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/RPM and noticed that one way to extract an rpm is using 'rpm2cpio' which added a whole new meaning to the words 'failed to extract cpio via gzip' so I tried 'emerge -s cpio' and there it was and not installed so I emerged 'cpio' and my problem went away! 'razorqt-meta' emerged no problem as did 'adobe-flash' which were the to packages emerge had been bailing on.

As my Gentoo install is completely fresh I assume that 'cpio' does not come with 'stage3-amd64-hardened-20130822.tar.bz2' .

Oh one other thing I got when I first went to 'emerge razorqt-meta' after solving the 'cpio' problem was these messages
Quote:
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests !!! Digest verification failed: "there was a bit more here but I can' remember what it was"
and also
Quote:
Calculating dependencies \ * Missing digest for /usr/portage/x11-misc/lightdm/lightdm-1.7.16.ebuild
The first message I ascertained was caused by the orphaned 'urw-fonts-2.4-9.fc13.src.rpm' in '/usr/portage/distfiles/' so I deleted the '/usr/portage/distfiles/urw-fonts-2.4-9.fc13.src.rpm' The second message, I have no idea what caused it, was fixed with a
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/x11-misc/lightdm/lightdm-1.7.16.ebuild manifest
fixed the
Quote:
Calculating dependencies \ * Missing digest for /usr/portage/x11-misc/lightdm/lightdm-1.7.16.ebuild
problem.

!! I have since read. :oops:
Quote:
When the digest verification fails, do not try to re-digest the package yourself. Running 'ebuild foo manifest' will not fix the problem; it will almost certainly make it worse!
So unless you don't mind living dangerously read
Quote:
Code Listing 5.12: Digest verification failure. At http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
Before following the above advice.

It may be that
Quote:
ebuild /usr/portage/x11-misc/lightdm/lightdm-1.7.16.ebuild digest
which also works is less risky.

Can anyone advise?

Well I hope I haven't made a total dogs dinner of relaying this info but the problem took me some days to figure out and I can see from the forums that 'media-font/urw-fonts' has given problems in the past and I couldn't find a solution on them so I have done my best to xplain for any one else who might run into the same issue. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: