Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Let's cut to the chase and save some typing for cokehabit.

Wow! The British are great golfers!
LOL

(McIlroy is an Irishman. I think you knew that, but not certain.)

He's from Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is part of the UK (which stands for "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Part of Ireland that We Stole", not sure if you knew that), and that's enough of a basis for cokehabit to on one of his obsessive, inferiority complex laced jaunts, rolling like a hound dog in rotten fish in the idea that his "country" is good at golf (in addition to having the 'best' navy in the world).
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Let's cut to the chase and save some typing for cokehabit.

Wow! The British are great golfers!
we're not this year, we've only won one major whereas the US has won the last two

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Lets be honest though. Mickleson is a choker. He should have won so much more but he always comes in 3rd or 4th after leading for 2 or 3 days. The only person that is worse than him at that is Lee Westwood
I disagree with your assessment:
Quote:
He has won 42 events on the PGA Tour, including five major championships: three Masters titles (2004, 2006, 2010), a PGA Championship (2005), and an Open Championship (2013).

Mickelson is one of 15 golfers in the history of the sport to win at least three of the four professional majors.[1] The only major that has eluded him is the U.S. Open, which would put him in an elite group of golfing "Career Grand Slam" winners that includes Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Gene Sarazen, and Tiger Woods. Mickelson has finished runner-up in the U.S. Open a record six times.[2]

Mickelson has spent over 700 weeks in the top-10 of the Official World Golf Ranking,[3] has reached a career-high world ranking of 2nd several times and has a lifetime exemption on the PGA Tour.
He's ranked 9th all time and could reasonably make it to #6, though that wouldn't be easy. 10 more wins, most of those needing to come in the next 4 years or so. But #8 is almost certain. And if he's able to get the US Open, he's in an extremely elite group. Nowhere near Westwood.

Compare to Greg Norman who is ranked 33rd and held first place longer than any other player, second only to Tiger (by a significant margin). Greg only won 2 majors. I mention him specifically because of his #1 status, wins in the majors, but also because they both play aggressively. Makes for good golf, but also puts them at greater risk.

Quote:
Tiger Woods holds the record for most weeks in the World Top 10, with 809. He is followed by Ernie Els (788 weeks) and Phil Mickelson (731 weeks).
I can't help but feel he should have won so much more though, he always seems to be right there at the end at every major.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More, possibly, but that is a testament to the difficulty of the game. He obviously choked on some of the majors before winning his first, but that isn't an easy hurdle to pass. I think his non-major wins corroborate his abilities.

Also, others have won a major and gone on to have mediocre careers. I don't think that's going to happen to Rory, but I'm sure that was said of others too. I look to see him win one of the playoff events, or at least a top five. It wouldn't surprise me if he bombed, either (maybe even a missed cut), but I'm expecting a better year in 2014. I think he's showing signs of fixing the problem and working more on confidence.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I reviewed McIlroy's performance from Thursday, and he didn't do too badly that day.

I looked at the ShotTracker data, which is more like a transcript than anything else. What I remember most is that he hit most of his fairways, and was often in the 12 to 15 foot range when he got onto the green. He had an eagle on a par 5, and 4 other birdies. He even hit a ~26 foot putt.

Unfortunately and interestingly, that was matched with three double bogeys. No bogeys. As bad as that sounds, the ShotTracker data doesn't make it look as bad. On two occasions, it looked like he might have gotten onto the green but it rolled off, but a "transcript" doesn't specify. On one, it looked like it rolled off a false front, and on the other, he either hit it over the green, or it rolled off to the other side (from a wayward shot on the other side of the green).

I think he's getting there.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right, we should watch out for him next season

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap. Did he go on a bender last night? Starting from hole 10.
  • 11th (2nd hole), par 3 162yds. Water. Drop from 115yds to 22ft to the hole. (+2)
    Iron & putting problem.
  • 16th birdie (+1)
  • 17th par 3, sand, bogey. (+2)
    Iron, but doesn't look like a particularly bad shot. Slightly left and long to the back bunker.
  • 18th par 5, hard to find (?) water, bogey. (+3)
    Driver, didn't get out to fairway from drop. Nice double bogey save from 57' 3" to 2' 11".
  • 1st short par 4 (360yds), sand. Missed 4th shot par putt from 4' 6" to triple bogey. (+6)
    2nd shot out of bunker and 3rd shot to green. Can't really tell if the bunker shot was bad or just next to impossible. 3 putt from 4.5 fee should NOT have happened.
  • 5th 3 putt from 28' 3" -- 28' 3" to 8' 3" to 2' 5". (+7)
    Seems like he should have been able to 2 putt, but it happens.
  • 7th birdie (+6)
  • 8th sand, bunker shot barely out, 9' to hole, 2 putt. (+7)
    May have been plugged or under the lip, so very likely a difficult bunker shot.

He definitely had some driver problems and was able to recover from at least one. But putting seemed to be his worst enemy. 11 & 1 should probably have only been one dropped shot each. Those two alone would have put him at +4.

He had some other missed chances. Hopefully he can put something together tomorrow. I'm not finding any current points listings where he'd need to finish to move on. I hope he does. If he can salvage this week and finish decently next week, maybe that could help his confidence going into the off season.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry for him. It's clear he hasn't got the yips, he's just uncomfortable with something. Can you remember him going in the water in the past few years? It's just not like him :?

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I can, but I didn't like him at the time, so I cheered. Up to that point I hadn't seen much of him. IIRC, he was in position to win, and it was on one of the last few holes. Off the tee, splash. He didn't win.

I can't find it, but I did find three others last year. Actually, it may be mentioned in the last link... might have been St. Jude. Can't find the video though.

More importantly than hitting it in the water is that he's just not hitting it consistently well. Or rather, too often poorly.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1205712-memorial-tournament-2012-rory-mcilroy-flames-out-in-columbus

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/rory-mcilroy-two-back-st-jude-classic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/14/us-open-2012-golf-olympic-club-tiger-woods-mcilroy_n_1595978.html

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Woods was at -5 for this round beginning the 15 hole. 4 holes later he was +1 8O

http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.08793.tiger-woods.html/scorecards/r060/wo_

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I couldn't believe it. The "ran out of gas" comment would seem to make sense. But Henrik is almost certain to get his payoff for consistency throughout the year.

I'm not a fan of the FedEx cup layout and schedule. The Olympics are stupid and are going to interfere next year, and the Ryder/President's Cup events are worse than FedEx from a usefulness standpoint.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, cokey, no F1 post in a looooong time. Same for football.

looks like you are jumping from sport to sport wherever some brit might be marginally successful. So... what has to happen to get you back to racing or manly sports?

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
btw, cokey, no F1 post in a looooong time. Same for football.

looks like you are jumping from sport to sport wherever some brit might be marginally successful. So... what has to happen to get you back to racing or manly sports?
Well Red Bull keep winning so I don't need to mention them. Same with Mercedes. The only thing that's not british is two of the drivers who are winning - Vettel and Rosberg.

As for football I recently posted a thread about how low we were in the world rankings. I very rarely make a thread up about how awesome we are. Even this thread is about a British golfer who is playing atrociously

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik wins. Congrats.

Interesting regarding Tiger's round, he improved every day. Often he's been in the 60s during the week, and 70s on the weekend. Just the reverse this time.

*sigh* Now gruntball. I can't wait until injury-law cripples that sport (no pun intended).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POY

Based on the stats listed, how I come to the inevitable...

Kuchar vs. Mickelson:

Mickelson due to Major win & more top tens.

Mickelson vs. Scott:

Two wins, each a major. Mickelson has more top tens and more money. Tough call, but those last two seem more important than finishing higher in the FEX Cup. Disclosure: I don't like belly-putter users.

Mickelson vs. Stenson:

Another tough call. Tie? Phil with the major, Henrik with two wins / FEX Cup, but the kicker being more top tens and more money. So it comes down to the value of the major, which historically has been the real prize of a season. I'm leaning Mickelson due to the major.

Mickelson / Stenson vs. Woods: 5 wins, including the "fifth" major, The Players. Two WGC events, very tough events based on the field (reflected in points awarded for FEX Cup). 2nd in FEX Cup, 1st in money, tied Henrik with top tens.

I actually thought it was going to be a tougher pick, but it really isn't. The only thing he doesn't have is a major, and neither does Henrik. So based on those two, it would have to be Tiger. The only thing Mickelson can compete with is the major. And while it is a more difficult choice comparing very similar seasons in Phil vs. Henrik, I don't think the one major beats The Players & 2 WGCs.

Oh, and I was hoping to see Phil win the Cup so he could win POY. I'm also rooting for him to win the US Open to be on the exclusive list of career winners of all majors. He's probably my favorite personality on tour. Woods is historically a far superior golfer, and I want him to beat Jack's record. Doesn't reflect on the choices above, but disclosure nonetheless.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott is on fire, I wouldn't bet against him in anything. I just hope he changes his clubs to give everyone a chance :lol:

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not _that_ good. But I wouldn't complain if he had a bad year in 2014.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought McIlroy was going to do it. Then he choked. Badly. Definitely not the clubs.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Thought McIlroy was going to do it. Then he choked. Badly. Definitely not the clubs.
at least he's consistently near the top now and not missing every cut like he was

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I bet he has a pretty good year. I'll guess 3-4 wins. Unless he's really fixed the issues and this was just a one-time case of the yips. Then he might hit 6 or so.

I'm not too familiar with his over all problems / tendencies, so I can't really say whether or not 6+ is at all likely.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Yep. I bet he has a pretty good year. I'll guess 3-4 wins. Unless he's really fixed the issues and this was just a one-time case of the yips. Then he might hit 6 or so.

I'm not too familiar with his over all problems / tendencies, so I can't really say whether or not 6+ is at all likely.
It just seems like a confidence problem with his clubs. I can imagine that instead of him just getting used to them he's made them change the clubs to suit his play

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask her out.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCracken wrote:
It just seems like a confidence problem with his clubs. I can imagine that instead of him just getting used to them he's made them change the clubs to suit his play
Absolutely. I already mentioned earlier in the thread that at his level / the amount they're paying him, he's going to get exactly what he wants.

IMO, his problem was likely more slipping back to bad habits rather than confidence. Those bad habits may have compounded it into a confidence problem, but he hit a good approach on 18 for a chance at eagle. That required confidence. IIRC, the announcers commented that he kept missing left, which was a "long standing" bad habit that he sometimes reverts to.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's one shot off the lead so he's almost at the level he was but I'd still be willing to say he's 2 shots a round off what he was

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. Wind was horrific yesterday, so that probably counts for a lot. Tiger managed 3 in the water and still gained ~28 positions and was only 6 back.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: