[Solved]Strange eix-sync behavior
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gotyaoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: [Solved]Strange eix-sync behavior Reply with quote

I have two different gentoo boxes, one being a virtualbox vm with the default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop profile and the other physical with the default/linux/x86/13.0. As far as I can tell, they both have the same version of eix, 0.29.3, the same use flags, and identical eix options set(both via config file and environment variable). However on the physical machine, eix-sync never seems to call eix-remote add1, like it mentions in the man page, while on the vm, it calls it every time.

Anyone else run into something like this, or have some pointers abuot where to look? I'm a bit stumped at this point.

Last edited by gotyaoi on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you have never fetched a remote flie: If you have no such file, there is no reason to add it.
gotyaoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm... not sure I follow. I'm using layman on both of these boxes to include the rust overlay. Is fetching a remote file different from that? Also, the docs seemed to imply that "eix-remote add1" or "eix-remote add2" was done no matter what... or am I misunderstanding what it means?

Quote:
eix-remote can sync an eix database from an external server and add/remove it to the current database. By default it uses a separate cachefile. With this default you should regularly call eix-remote add1 and/or eix-remote add2 after eix-update so that the separate cachefile is synchronized with your main database. (If you use eix-sync this is done by default.)
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotyaoi wrote:
Is fetching a remote file different from that?

Yes, it is something completely different: You need eix-remote add{1,2} only for remote databases (i.e. for overlay data which you do not have locally).
You can fetch such a remote file with eix-remote update{1,2} (which also calls eix-remote add{1,2} automatically after fetching).

Edit: Removed suggestion concerning choice of remote data - meanwhile both are working well, again.
gotyaoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you for the explanation. As I wasn't particularly interested in searching remote repositories most of the time, I deleted /var/cache/eix/remote.{eix,tar.bz2}, and now it no longer runs eix-remote add1. I must have run it at one point in the past and completely forgotten.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: